Re: [npEnterprise Forum] Introductions

  • plucash
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
      Carolyn Noah has described a viable service for the members of the
      Library System. This is one of those that could be viewed as "simply"
      a creative service for the organization's members, or a social
      enterprise......or both.

      As I mentioned in my intro post, I was at the first "Gathering" for
      social entrepreneurship in Colorado in 1998. A lot of time was spent
      discussing what the term meant - and it was never clear.

      There is a difference between running a for-profit business to help
      support the core non-profit mission, and running a service as part of
      executing the non-profit mission and generating a profit. I had a
      client hospital that had 65 businesses, including maintenance at the
      local race track (horses), the Pepsi vending machine franchise in SE
      Ohio, and the largest installer of private phone systems in the area.
      These were clearly for-profit businesses whose profits supported the
      non-profit hosptital.

      The Jewish Community Center in Charleston bakes challahs - a
      ceremonial bread used in homes on the sabbath - as a service to the
      community after the only local vendor went out of business. It has
      turned out to be a very profitable service, they've started
      deliverying to a second pickup point, and they also offer special,
      kosher meal packages at holidays. Social enterprise or a mission based
      program? Or both?

      The question is the same: what are you trying to do?

      My three cents,
      Peter
    • Leo Muller
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        The CHOICES Education Group was formed in 1985 as a not-for-profit,
        501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Seattle, Washington. Our goals are to
        empower students toward personal and professional success, and to build
        sustainable business-education partnerships in local communities in support
        of these students. We have 20 years experience and expertise in program
        development, service delivery and partnership sustainability. Through our
        social enterprise model we apply sound business principles to accomplish our
        mission and to minimize reliance on outside support. We are currently
        partnering with approximately 200 organizations in 40 states, engaging 2,000
        community volunteers to deliver our CHOICES program to 200,000 students per
        year.

        CHOICES is a two class-period interactive seminar designed to help students
        increase their career and life options through thoughtful academic
        decisions. Students engage in role-plays on time & money management, and
        learn how decisions they make now will shape their future. They discover
        that they can achieve their goals by applying self-discipline. CHOICES also
        acts as a powerful tool for building and sustaining effective school and
        business partnerships in local communities.

        _________________________
        Leo Muller
        Executive Director
        CHOICES Education Group
        1100 Dexter Avenue North
        Seattle, WA 98109
        Tel: 206-273-7717
        Fax: 206-273-7777
        Email: lmuller@...
        Web: www.choices.org
        A 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization
        Empowering students toward personal and professional success since 1985
      • Rendall, David J.
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
          My name is David Rendall. Some of you have already been "introduced" to
          me because of the research that I completed last year. Thank you again
          for your participation.

          I'm interested in nonprofit enterprise because I managed earned income
          ventures for my entire career. For the last seven years I was the
          founder/director of SERVE Enterprises www.serveonline.org, a social
          enterprise that provided employment for people with disabilities. We ran
          an outsourcing business and sold ink jet cartridges www.serveink.com.

          My experience as a practitioner influenced my decision to research
          social enterprise leaders for my doctoral dissertation. I am now a
          professor of business at Mount Olive College in North Carolina. I'm also
          the founder and principal of Rendall & Associates www.drendall.com a
          training and consulting firm for nonprofits and social enterprises. I've
          been able to conduct training sessions on social enterprise for Duke
          University's nonprofit certificate program and for the National
          Gathering of the Social Enterprise Alliance, as well as many other
          organizations and associations. I'm particularly interested in the
          unique characteristics of social enterprise leaders and the cultural
          issues related to enterprise in the nonprofit sector.

          I believe that social enterprise is an important trend and that it will
          only expand during the next five years. I think that many people are
          still discovering that they are already doing some earned income
          activities and now they want to learn how to be more effective and
          intentional in their efforts.

          David Rendall
          Principal

          Rendall & Associates
          205 Carlyle Circle
          Goldsboro, NC 27530

          (919) 222-6295

          dave@...
          www.drendall.com

          "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always
          do that, but the truly great make you feel that you too can become
          great."
          - Mark Twain