Wikionary Novial

  • valodnieks
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
      Bon jorne amikes de Novial!

      As far as I know here are several dicionary/vocubulary projects for
      Novial. I propose to merge them in a Wikionary. Everybody would have
      easily access to it and could edit and help in different languages.

      A good example for a Novial Wiktionary is the IDO Wiktionary, which
      has more then 137.000 entries so far!

      http://io.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page

      As Novial has a Wikipedia nobody could object.

      Best regards
      VALODNIEKS
    • Bruce R. Gilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
        --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
        <tomas.smitas@...> wrote:

        > Bon jorne amikes de Novial!
        >
        > As far as I know here are several dicionary/vocubulary projects for
        > Novial. I propose to merge them in a Wikionary. Everybody would have
        > easily access to it and could edit and help in different languages.
        >
        > A good example for a Novial Wiktionary is the IDO Wiktionary, which
        > has more then 137.000 entries so far!
        >
        > http://io.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page
        >
        > As Novial has a Wikipedia nobody could object.

        I think this is a great idea. Are you, however, willing to take the
        time to coordinate the reformatting of all these dictionaries to a
        common format (and you are probably right about using the Ido
        Wiktionary as a model)?
      • valodnieks
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2008
          Thank you Bruce for your trust.

          But the problem is my lack of technical knowledge. I know Wikipedia
          and Wikionary only as a user and not as administrator. I even do not
          know how to create or to request a new Wikionary. Maybe someone could
          help to create it.

          --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson"
          <brg1942@...> wrote:

          > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
          > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Bon jorne amikes de Novial!
          > >
          > > As far as I know here are several dicionary/vocubulary projects for
          > > Novial. I propose to merge them in a Wikionary. Everybody would have
          > > easily access to it and could edit and help in different languages.
          > >
          > > A good example for a Novial Wiktionary is the IDO Wiktionary, which
          > > has more then 137.000 entries so far!
          > >
          > > http://io.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page
          > >
          > > As Novial has a Wikipedia nobody could object.
          >
          > I think this is a great idea. Are you, however, willing to take the
          > time to coordinate the reformatting of all these dictionaries to a
          > common format (and you are probably right about using the Ido
          > Wiktionary as a model)?

        • andremalafaya
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2008
            Valodnieks,

            to create a new Wiktionary, you may request it at
            http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages .
            Be sure to read the "rules" and requirements before applying.

            Cheers,
            André Malafaya

            <tomas.smitas@...> wrote:

            > Thank you Bruce for your trust.
            >
            > But the problem is my lack of technical knowledge. I know Wikipedia
            > and Wikionary only as a user and not as administrator. I even do not
            > know how to create or to request a new Wikionary. Maybe someone could
            > help to create it.
            >
            > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson"
            > <brg1942@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
            > > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Bon jorne amikes de Novial!
            > > >
            > > > As far as I know here are several dicionary/vocubulary projects for
            > > > Novial. I propose to merge them in a Wikionary. Everybody would have
            > > > easily access to it and could edit and help in different languages.
            > > >
            > > > A good example for a Novial Wiktionary is the IDO Wiktionary, which
            > > > has more then 137.000 entries so far!
            > > >
            > > > http://io.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page
            > > >
            > > > As Novial has a Wikipedia nobody could object.
            > >
            > > I think this is a great idea. Are you, however, willing to take the
            > > time to coordinate the reformatting of all these dictionaries to a
            > > common format (and you are probably right about using the Ido
            > > Wiktionary as a model)?

          • nov_ialiste
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7, 2008
              Rather than request a whole new Wiktionary in Novial (which is a
              diffcult process which is likely not to succeed) the Novial dictioanry
              section already within the English Wictionary could be used.

              http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Novial

              I created this some years ago but haven't found time to work on it
              seriously.

              The initial objective is to include all the contents of the Novial
              Lexike with English translations.

              nov_ialiste

              --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya"
              <malafaya@...> wrote:

              > Valodnieks,
              >
              > to create a new Wiktionary, you may request it at
              > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages .
              > Be sure to read the "rules" and requirements before applying.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > André Malafaya
              >
              > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
              > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you Bruce for your trust.
              > >
              > > But the problem is my lack of technical knowledge. I know Wikipedia
              > > and Wikionary only as a user and not as administrator. I even do not
              > > know how to create or to request a new Wikionary. Maybe someone could
              > > help to create it.
              > >
              > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson"
              > > <brg1942@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"

              > > > I think this is a great idea. Are you, however, willing to take the
              > > > time to coordinate the reformatting of all these dictionaries to a
              > > > common format (and you are probably right about using the Ido
              > > > Wiktionary as a model)?

            • valodnieks
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
                Hello nov_ialiste!

                I fully agree. The best thing would be to elaborate this Wikionary
                further, because it is really a good start. We should together
                continue this work!

                Thank you for posting the link!

                Best regards
                Valodnieks

                --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"
                <nov_ialiste@...> wrote:

                > Rather than request a whole new Wiktionary in Novial (which is a
                > diffcult process which is likely not to succeed) the Novial dictioanry
                > section already within the English Wictionary could be used.
                >
                > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Novial
                >
                > I created this some years ago but haven't found time to work on it
                > seriously.
                >
                > The initial objective is to include all the contents of the Novial
                > Lexike with English translations.
                >
                > nov_ialiste
                >
                > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya"
                > <malafaya@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Valodnieks,
                > >
                > > to create a new Wiktionary, you may request it at
                > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages .
                > > Be sure to read the "rules" and requirements before applying.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > André Malafaya
                > >
                > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
                > > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thank you Bruce for your trust.
                > > >
                > > > But the problem is my lack of technical knowledge. I know Wikipedia
                > > > and Wikionary only as a user and not as administrator. I even do not
                > > > know how to create or to request a new Wikionary. Maybe someone
                could
                > > > help to create it.
                > > >
                > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson"

                > projects for
                > would have
                > languages.

                > which

              • nov_ialiste
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Yes. Some time ago I worked on expanding the English translations in
                  Novial Lexike (many are incomplete words or no translation is given if
                  it is similar enough that it can be guessed). I did over half the work
                  but in recent months have not found much time. If others are
                  interested I may find the enthusiasm to finish it.

                  This would provide a more useful Novial-English dictionary where it is
                  easier to search for English words.

                  My knowledge of French and German is not good enough to do the same
                  with them. It would be very nice if there are others who are able to
                  complete the French and German translations.

                  Salutos,

                  nov_ialiste

                  <tomas.smitas@...> wrote:

                  > Hello nov_ialiste!
                  >
                  > I fully agree. The best thing would be to elaborate this Wikionary
                  > further, because it is really a good start. We should together
                  > continue this work!
                  >
                  > Thank you for posting the link!
                  >
                  > Best regards
                  > Valodnieks
                  >

                  > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"
                  > <nov_ialiste@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Rather than request a whole new Wiktionary in Novial (which is a
                  > > diffcult process which is likely not to succeed) the Novial dictioanry
                  > > section already within the English Wictionary could be used.
                  > >
                  > > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Novial
                  > >
                  > > I created this some years ago but haven't found time to work on it
                  > > seriously.
                  > >
                  > > The initial objective is to include all the contents of the Novial
                  > > Lexike with English translations.
                  > >
                  > > nov_ialiste
                  > >
                  > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya"
                  > > <malafaya@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Valodnieks,
                  > > >
                  > > > to create a new Wiktionary, you may request it at
                  > > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages .
                  > > > Be sure to read the "rules" and requirements before applying.
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers,
                  > > > André Malafaya
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"

                  Wikipedia
                  > could

                  > > projects for
                  > > would have
                  > > languages.

                  > > which

                  > take the
                  > to a

                • valodnieks
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                    Bon jorne!

                    So I put a link to the Wikionary here in the links of the Yahoo group
                    and created at the Wikionary an account to support you.

                    I can support you also with the German translation. Could you please
                    put in a column for German translation in the new Novial Dictionary or
                    tell me where I can put this in!

                    <nov_ialiste@...> wrote:

                    > Yes. Some time ago I worked on expanding the English translations in
                    > Novial Lexike (many are incomplete words or no translation is given if
                    > it is similar enough that it can be guessed). I did over half the work
                    > but in recent months have not found much time. If others are
                    > interested I may find the enthusiasm to finish it.
                    >
                    > This would provide a more useful Novial-English dictionary where it is
                    > easier to search for English words.
                    >
                    > My knowledge of French and German is not good enough to do the same
                    > with them. It would be very nice if there are others who are able to
                    > complete the French and German translations.
                    >
                    > Salutos,
                    >
                    > nov_ialiste
                    >
                    > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
                    > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello nov_ialiste!
                    > >
                    > > I fully agree. The best thing would be to elaborate this Wikionary
                    > > further, because it is really a good start. We should together
                    > > continue this work!
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for posting the link!
                    > >
                    > > Best regards
                    > > Valodnieks
                    > >

                    > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"
                    > > <nov_ialiste@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Rather than request a whole new Wiktionary in Novial (which is a
                    > > > diffcult process which is likely not to succeed) the Novial
                    dictioanry
                    > > > section already within the English Wictionary could be used.
                    > > >
                    > > > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Novial
                    > > >
                    > > > I created this some years ago but haven't found time to work on it
                    > > > seriously.
                    > > >
                    > > > The initial objective is to include all the contents of the Novial
                    > > > Lexike with English translations.
                    > > >
                    > > > nov_ialiste
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya"

                    > Wikipedia
                    > do not
                    > > could

                    > > > projects for
                    > > > would have
                    > > > languages.

                    Wiktionary,
                    > > > which

                    > > take the
                    > > to a

                  • nov_ialiste
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Hi,

                      I have the dictionary that I am working on in an Excel file. I believe
                      letters P to Z are ready. I will post the Excel file for P to Z (with
                      an extra column for German) within the next couple of days.

                      It would be very good if you would expand the German in the same way
                      as I am doing with the English.

                      When we are ready I can reformat the data to post at Wiktionary so
                      that the entries will display in a useful way.

                      I will post more information within the next couple of days.

                      Salutos,

                      nov_ialiste

                      <tomas.smitas@...> wrote:

                      > Bon jorne!
                      >
                      > So I put a link to the Wikionary here in the links of the Yahoo group
                      > and created at the Wikionary an account to support you.
                      >
                      > I can support you also with the German translation. Could you please
                      > put in a column for German translation in the new Novial Dictionary or
                      > tell me where I can put this in!
                      >
                      > Best regards
                      > Valodnieks
                      >
                      > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"
                      > <nov_ialiste@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yes. Some time ago I worked on expanding the English translations in
                      > > Novial Lexike (many are incomplete words or no translation is given if
                      > > it is similar enough that it can be guessed). I did over half the work
                      > > but in recent months have not found much time. If others are
                      > > interested I may find the enthusiasm to finish it.
                      > >
                      > > This would provide a more useful Novial-English dictionary where it is
                      > > easier to search for English words.
                      > >
                      > > My knowledge of French and German is not good enough to do the same
                      > > with them. It would be very nice if there are others who are able to
                      > > complete the French and German translations.
                      > >
                      > > Salutos,
                      > >
                      > > nov_ialiste
                      > >
                      > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"
                      > > <tomas.smitas@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hello nov_ialiste!
                      > > >
                      > > > I fully agree. The best thing would be to elaborate this Wikionary
                      > > > further, because it is really a good start. We should together
                      > > > continue this work!
                      > > >
                      > > > Thank you for posting the link!
                      > > >
                      > > > Best regards
                      > > > Valodnieks
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"

                      > dictioanry

                      > > Wikipedia
                      > > do not
                      > > > could

                      > Wiktionary,

                      > > > take the
                      > > > to a

                    • noviaLingue
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10, 2008
                        Kar amikes,

                        I've been rather silent these last months. However, my interest for Novial has not diminished one iota.

                        As I said a few months ago (I remember we discussed these matters with Bruce and others), I would be delighted to contribute to the NL regarding the French part. The only problem is to find the time to do it.
                        However, I also believe that we should be careful with such an enterprise: quite a few words can have a variety of meanings in the ethnic languages, whereas in Novial Jespersen appears to have retained only some of these meanings. Thus "construction" can mean two things in French: (1) the process of building something and (2) the thing built, e.g. a bridge or a house; and the same applies to "building" in English, btw. Yet I'm not sure whether Jespersen intended konstruktione to refer to the former (the process, which, incidentally, is already aptly expressed by konstrukto in Novial); I am rather under the impression that he meant to restrain the meaning of konstruktione to the latter (the thing built).
                        That kind of ambiguity, mutatis mutandis, applies to a whole range of words in Novial.

                        Kordiali salutes,
                        Renaud

                        <tomas.smitas@...> wrote:

                        > Hello nov_ialiste!
                        >
                        > I fully agree. The best thing would be to elaborate this Wikionary
                        > further, because it is really a good start. We should together
                        > continue this work!
                        >
                        > Thank you for posting the link!
                        >
                        > Best regards
                        > Valodnieks
                        >

                        > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "nov_ialiste"
                        > <nov_ialiste@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Rather than request a whole new Wiktionary in Novial (which is a
                        > > diffcult process which is likely not to succeed) the Novial dictioanry
                        > > section already within the English Wictionary could be used.
                        > >
                        > > http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Index:Novial
                        > >
                        > > I created this some years ago but haven't found time to work on it
                        > > seriously.
                        > >
                        > > The initial objective is to include all the contents of the Novial
                        > > Lexike with English translations.
                        > >
                        > > nov_ialiste
                        > >
                        > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "andremalafaya"
                        > > <malafaya@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Valodnieks,
                        > > >
                        > > > to create a new Wiktionary, you may request it at
                        > > > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages .
                        > > > Be sure to read the "rules" and requirements before applying.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers,
                        > > > André Malafaya
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "valodnieks"

                        Wikipedia
                        > could

                        > > projects for
                        > > would have
                        > > languages.

                        > > which

                        > take the
                        > to a

                      • Donald Gasper
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 10, 2008
                          Kar amikes,

                          In "Novial Lexike" p. 106 Jespersen dikted ke li sufixe -ione "F forme des substantifs verbaux pour désigner le résultat ou l'ensemble de l'action, E forms verbal substantives denoting the result (as a whole) or the resulting state, or the manner in which something is done, D bildet Verbalsubstantive für das Ergebnis der Handlung oder den sich ergebenden Zustand, zum Teil die Art und Weise, in der etwas geschieht".

                          Vida anke "An International Language" p.131; "Eine Internationale Sprache" p. 97.

                          Renaud skripted: