proper names

  • dimitryivanov
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 5:32 AM
      Hello everybody!
      I didn't see in Jespersen's book anything about the rules for proper
      names. One the one hand there are Fransia, Anglia etc., on the other
      hand China... Can anyone help?
    • Bruce R. Gilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 9:00 AM
        --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "dimitryivanov"
        <dimitryivanov@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody!
        > I didn't see in Jespersen's book anything about the rules for proper
        > names. One the one hand there are Fransia, Anglia etc., on the other
        > hand China... Can anyone help?

        Obviously there are no universal rules. One of the few things that I
        think Jespersen did wrong is that he wasn't always totally consistent.
        We've discussed, for example, chemical elements. One thing I would do
        in a Novial update would be to adopt rules that would be universally
        applicable. Jespersen didn't do that, however.