kiragra

  • CppGuy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2013
      What is this? I can't find anything similar in F, D or H. In English, there is http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chiragra?qsrc=2446&o=100074 but I can't conceive Jespersen finding this word important in a basic dictionary.
    • Kjell Rehnström
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2013
        CppGuy skrev 2013-05-14 20:43:

        > What is this? I can't find
        > anything similar in F, D or H. In
        > English, there is
        > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chiragra?qsrc=2446&o=100074
        > but I can't conceive Jespersen
        > finding this word important in a
        > basic dictionary.

        Why didn't you write the word
        itself in the first place. In the
        first fraction of a second I
        thought that /plagiarism/ was what
        you were aiming at!

        It may be that they had not started
        doing frequency analysis to texts
        in the days of Jespersen.

        An interesting thing is how long I
        will remember this chiragra, now
        that I have seen it, and it will
        tell us a little bit about how we
        learn certain words and will forget
        others!

        On the other hand the frequency for
        words will vary in a written or a
        colloquial text.

        Kjell R
      • Donald Gasper
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2013
          A related term is "podagra" for gout in the leg.

          > To: novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com
          > From: cellus38@...
          > Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 06:09:00 +0200
          > Subject: Re: [novial-discussion] kiragra
          >
          > CppGuy skrev 2013-05-14 20:43:
          > >
          > > What is this? I can't find
          > > anything similar in F, D or H. In
          > > English, there is
          > > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chiragra?qsrc=2446&o=100074
          > > but I can't conceive Jespersen
          > > finding this word important in a
          > > basic dictionary.
          > >
          > Why didn't you write the word
          > itself in the first place. In the
          > first fraction of a second I
          > thought that /plagiarism/ was what
          > you were aiming at!
          >
          > It may be that they had not started
          > doing frequency analysis to texts
          > in the days of Jespersen.
          >
          > An interesting thing is how long I
          > will remember this chiragra, now
          > that I have seen it, and it will
          > tell us a little bit about how we
          > learn certain words and will forget
          > others!
          >
          > On the other hand the frequency for
          > words will vary in a written or a
          > colloquial text.
          >
          > Kjell R

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > novial-discussion-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > novial-discussion-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • CppGuy
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2013
            --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, Kjell Rehnström <cellus38@...> wrote:

            > CppGuy skrev 2013-05-14 20:43:
            > >
            > > What is this? I can't find
            > > anything similar in F, D or H. In
            > > English, there is
            > > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chiragra?qsrc=2446&o=100074
            > > but I can't conceive Jespersen
            > > finding this word important in a
            > > basic dictionary.
            > >
            > Why didn't you write the word
            > itself in the first place.

            Apologies if the word in the subject line wasn't clear enough.
          • CppGuy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2013
              --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, Donald Gasper <don_gasper@...> wrote:

              > A related term is "podagra" for gout in the leg.

              Now that I see both words are in the NL, it makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't mis-understood the original word as being something else. Jespersen made some interesting assumptions with so many of the words he added using Novial's orthography and no additional definitions. While I have suffered with podagra (and believe me, you REALLY suffer) I didn't know it by that name; just "gout."