Esofage

  • CppGuy
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2013
      I don't know if anyone cares, but the word "esofage" in the spreadsheet has a "?" for the English definition. I believe the word is "esophagus."
    • Kjell Rehnström
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11, 2013
        CppGuy skrev 2013-05-12 06:38:

        > I don't know if anyone cares, but
        > the word "esofage" in the
        > spreadsheet has a "?" for the
        > English definition. I believe the
        > word is "esophagus."

        Me komprenda ke tum es lu sami kom
        /gullet/. Lu es in li anlgi,
        germani, fransi vordare de Jespersen.

        Kjell R
      • Rosto
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2013
          Li tabele "Original NL plus edits.xls" have "?" pro ke li Vokablaro dona "esofage" sin traduktione. Ma li Vokablaro no es por mediokri mentes, lu no tradukte siential vordes keles no besona traduktione. Klari es, ke lum es "esophagus". Evidentim, li kompilante del tabele simple no haved tempe por examina li Angli spelling. Kompilo de un vordare postula tre multi tempe.

          --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "CppGuy" <cppguy@...> wrote:

          > I don't know if anyone cares, but the word "esofage" in the spreadsheet has a "?" for the English definition. I believe the word is "esophagus."

        • Bruce R. Gilson
          Message 4 of 13 , May 12, 2013
            On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM, CppGuy <cppguy@...> wrote:

            I don't know if anyone cares, but the word "esofage" in the spreadsheet has a "?" for the English definition. I believe the word is "esophagus."

            What spreadsheet are you looking at?

            --

                                                                                 Bruce R. Gilson
                                                                                 brg1942@...

          • Rosto
            Message 5 of 13 , May 12, 2013
              tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls

              --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@...> wrote:

              > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM, CppGuy <cppguy@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I don't know if anyone cares, but the word "esofage" in the spreadsheet
              > > has a "?" for the English definition. I believe the word is "esophagus."
              > >

              > What spreadsheet are you looking at?
              >
              > --
              >
              > Bruce
              > R. Gilson
              >
              > brg1942@...

            • Bruce R.Gilson
              Message 6 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Rosto" <rostislav-levchenko@...> wrote:

                > tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls
                >
                > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@> wrote:
                > >
                > > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM, CppGuy <cppguy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > I don't know if anyone cares, but the word "esofage" in the spreadsheet
                > > > has a "?" for the English definition. I believe the word is "esophagus."
                > > >

                > > What spreadsheet are you looking at?

                Thank you. This spreadsheet raises some questions.

                There are actually three worksheets.

                In the one that represents the original NL, there are twice as many rows as there needs to be since a blank row was inserted between every entry and its successor. I wonder why this was done.

                In the one labeled "NL for Wikiversity," the wiki markup was preserved -- not very useful in a spreadsheet, and someone probably ought to remove it. (In Wiki markup, one writes '''something''' to bold it. Somehow the ending apostrophes still remain in the spread sheet, but the starting ones are gone. And there is a bunch of code intended to put it into tabular format. And apparently a sort was done, so that the Wiki markup for the tables is not even where it was originally found.)

                The most critical problem is in the sheet labeled "Original NL + PN." Somehow, the original NL entries in column I have become divorced from the entries in column C that were produced from them. Thus "fanati F -ique, E -ical, D -isch | -te sb. E -tic | -teso, -tisme | -tisa." in column I is found, not in the row that has "fanati" in column C, but in the row that has "fanfare" in column C.
              • Rosto
                Message 7 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                  Me self videskad disi tabeles nur disdi :/
                  Es dutabli, ke lus pove es utili.

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                    --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R.Gilson" <brg1942@...> wrote:

                    > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Rosto" <rostislav-levchenko@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls
                    > >
                    > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@> wrote:

                    > > > What spreadsheet are you looking at?
                    >
                    > Thank you. This spreadsheet raises some questions.
                    >
                    > There are actually three worksheets.

                    Since your comments are in English, I'll reply in kind.

                    I actually found the spreadsheet to be quite helpful. Someone clearly spent some effort on it. It also reveals some interesting things about the NL. While, on the one hand, it's remarkably robust, it's also remarkably lacking. Witness my questions about "ikneumon" and "mile." I'm 51 and have never once encountered "ichneumon" I print in my entire life until now. Yet lacking are the words "inch", "mile", "pound" and "ounce", one of which I will use daily. (I got reading the "Wizard of Oz" story and I see that "maile" is used despite not being in the NL.)

                    The reason I took interest in the .xls file is it was a good starting point to create an MDF file of Novial. I'll publish my results as I have the chance.
                  • Bruce R. Gilson
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                      On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM, CppGuy <cppguy@...> wrote:

                      --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R.Gilson" <brg1942@...> wrote:

                      > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Rosto" <rostislav-levchenko@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls
                      > >
                      > > --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@> wrote:

                      > > > What spreadsheet are you looking at?
                      >
                      > Thank you. This spreadsheet raises some questions.
                      >
                      > There are actually three worksheets.

                      Since your comments are in English, I'll reply in kind.

                      I actually found the spreadsheet to be quite helpful. Someone clearly spent some effort on it. It also reveals some interesting things about the NL. While, on the one hand, it's remarkably robust, it's also remarkably lacking. Witness my questions about "ikneumon" and "mile." I'm 51 and have never once encountered "ichneumon" I print in my entire life until now. Yet lacking are the words "inch", "mile", "pound" and "ounce", one of which I will use daily. (I got reading the "Wizard of Oz" story and I see that "maile" is used despite not being in the NL.)

                      Jespersen was a Dane. He was far more familiar with meters and kilometers, grams and kilograms, than feet and miles, pounds and ounces.

                      Not to excuse him, but to explain his choice.

                      There are a lot of words in the NL I could do without -- words relating to the gold standard economy as it was in those days, for example.

                      I would have, if the N98 project had completed
                      ,produced a new dictionary. In fact, I had begun a project to produce a language book which would have defined a language which represented my current ideas -- mostly identical to N98 -- but it was hung up on the idea of producing a proper dictionary. The book is entirely complete *except* for the two chapters which represented the dictionary, and those would wait for me to sort the NL. (I really need to have the NL sorted into *English* alphabetical order, as it is much easier that way to figure out what words *need* to be developed.

                      The reason I took interest in the .xls file is it was a good starting point to create an MDF file of Novial. I'll publish my results as I have the chance.

                      What is an MDF file?

                      --

                                                                                           Bruce R. Gilson
                                                                                           brg1942@...

                    • CppGuy
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                        --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@...> wrote:
                        > > The reason I took interest in the .xls file is it was a good starting
                        > > point to create an MDF file of Novial. I'll publish my results as I have
                        > > the chance.
                        > >

                        > What is an MDF file?

                        http://www-01.sil.org/computing/shoebox/MDF_2000.pdf
                      • CppGuy
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                          --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gilson" <brg1942@...> wrote:

                          > There are a lot of words in the NL I could do without -- words relating to
                          > the gold standard economy as it was in those days, for example.

                          Another of your words with ? on it was "demimonde" which is also an English word (verbatim), but yet another one I didn't know until today. Not really a word much needed in the 21st century, either. (BTW, because of my interest in economics, I wouldn't want to see the language devoid of words related to that.)
                        • Kjell Rehnström
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                            Bruce R. Gilson skrev 2013-05-12 21:50:
                            > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM,
                            > CppGuy <cppguy@...
                            > <mailto:cppguy@...>> wrote:
                            >

                            > --- In
                            > novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:novial-discussion%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "Bruce R.Gilson"
                            > <brg1942@...> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > --- In
                            > novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:novial-discussion%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "Rosto"
                            > <rostislav-levchenko@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls
                            > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/novial-discussion/files/Original%20NL%20plus%20edits.xls>
                            > > >
                            > > > --- In
                            > novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com
                            > <mailto:novial-discussion%40yahoogroups.com>,

                            > anyone cares, but the word
                            > "esofage" in the spreadsheet
                            > English definition. I believe
                            > the word is "esophagus."

                            > you looking at?
                            > >
                            > > Thank you. This spreadsheet
                            > raises some questions.
                            > >
                            > > There are actually three
                            > worksheets.
                            >
                            > Since your comments are in
                            > English, I'll reply in kind.
                            >
                            > I actually found the
                            > spreadsheet to be quite
                            > helpful. Someone clearly
                            > spent some effort on it. It
                            > also reveals some interesting
                            > things about the NL. While,
                            > on the one hand, it's
                            > remarkably robust, it's also
                            > remarkably lacking. Witness
                            > my questions about "ikneumon"
                            > and "mile." I'm 51 and have
                            > never once encountered
                            > "ichneumon" I print in my
                            > entire life until now. Yet
                            > lacking are the words "inch",
                            > "mile", "pound" and "ounce",
                            > one of which I will use
                            > daily. (I got reading the
                            > "Wizard of Oz" story and I
                            > see that "maile" is used
                            > despite not being in the NL.)
                            >

                            > Jespersen was a Dane. He was far
                            > more familiar with meters and
                            > kilometers, grams and kilograms,
                            > than feet and miles, pounds and
                            > ounces.
                            From the Atlantic eastward to the
                            Pacific Ocean there are only meters
                            and kilos!
                            I think Denmark as well as Sweden
                            introduced the metric system
                            already in the end of the 19th
                            century. And a bold guess is that
                            Russia did it after the revolution
                            in 1917.

                            Kjell R
                          • CppGuy
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 12, 2013
                              --- In novial-discussion@yahoogroups.com, Kjell Rehnström > > Jespersen was a Dane. He was far
                              > > more familiar with meters and
                              > > kilometers, grams and kilograms,
                              > > than feet and miles, pounds and
                              > > ounces.
                              > From the Atlantic eastward to the
                              > Pacific Ocean there are only meters
                              > and kilos!
                              > I think Denmark as well as Sweden
                              > introduced the metric system
                              > already in the end of the 19th
                              > century. And a bold guess is that
                              > Russia did it after the revolution
                              > in 1917.

                              Just the USA and Belize are the holdouts. But then, most good Brits can tell you their weight in stone, their height in feet and inches and will still tell temperature in Fahrenheit and will give directions in miles. And they'll be damned if they don't serve you beer in pints. :-)