Translation

  • chabi1991
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 25 8:21 AM
    • chabi1991
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 25 8:22 AM
        Could anyone translate this into Novial? (The variety used in Wikipedia, I don't know which one it is).

        Otto Jespersen was born in Randers in Jutland. He was inspired by the work of Danish linguist Rasmus Rask as a boy, and with the help of Rask's grammars taught himself some Icelandic, Italian, and Spanish.[1] He entered the University of Copenhagen in 1877 when he was 17, initially studying law but not forgetting his language studies. In 1881 he shifted his focus completely to languages,[2] and in 1887 earned his master's degree in French, with English and Latin as his secondary languages. He supported himself during his studies through part-time work as a schoolteacher and as a shorthand reporter in the Danish parliament. In 1887-1888, he traveled to England, Germany and France, meeting linguists like Henry Sweet and Paul Passy and attending lectures at institutions like Oxford University. Following the advice of his mentor Vilhelm Thomsen, he returned to Copenhagen in August 1888 and began work on his doctoral dissertation on the English case system. He successfully defended his dissertation in 1891.

        Thanks
      • Chabi Chabi
        Message 3 of 10 , May 6, 2013
          How do you say in Novial98:

          This page is written in Novial30.

          I would also like the translatation of this text into Novial 98:

          English is a West Germanic language that is now the most widely used language in the world. It is spoken as a first language by the majority populations of several sovereign states, including the United Kingdom, the United StatesCanadaAustraliaIrelandNew Zealand and a number of Caribbean nations. It is the third-most-common native language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. It is widely learned as a second language and is an official language of the European Union, many Commonwealth countries and the United Nations, as well as in many world organisations.

          Thanks for your help.

        • Bruce R. Gilson
          Message 4 of 10 , May 6, 2013

            On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Chabi Chabi <chabi1991@...> wrote:

            How do you say in Novial98:

            This page is written in Novial30.

            Hi pagine eser skriptet in Novial30.

            I would also like the translatation of this text into Novial 98:

            English is a West Germanic language that is now the most widely used language in the world. It is spoken as a first language by the majority populations of several sovereign states, including the United Kingdom, the United StatesCanadaAustraliaIrelandNew Zealand and a number of Caribbean nations. It is the third-most-common native language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese and Spanish. It is widely learned as a second language and is an official language of the European Union, many Commonwealth countries and the United Nations, as well as in many world organisations.

            Hmmm... there are a number of words in that which I'd have to think about. This is one of the problems... N98 was never really completed, so there are words that can really be missing in the vocabulary, because we  never got to the phase of *using* it and discovering where the gaps in the vocabulary were.
          • Chabi Chabi
            Message 5 of 10 , May 6, 2013
              In that case, could you please translated into Novial30?
            • Kjell Rehnström
              Message 6 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                Or me proba tu lerna Novial 28/30,
                talim ke me ne pove auxilia. Pro
                quum vu ne proba self fa li
                traduktione?

                Men metode es ke me tradukte li
                vokabularo de Jespersen en suedum,
                e depos me pove serka li vordes per
                li funktione /sercha/.

                Amikim

                Kjell R
                Chabi Chabi skrev 2013-05-06 12:22:
                > How do you say in Novial98:
                >
                > This page is written in Novial30.
                >

                > I would also like the
                > translatation of this text into
                > Novial 98:
                >
                > *English* is a West Germanic
                > language that is now the most
                > widely used language in the
                > world. It is spoken as a first
                > language by the majority
                > populations of several sovereign
                > states
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state>,
                > including the United Kingdom
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom>,
                > the United States
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>,
                > Canada
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada>,
                > Australia
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia>,
                > Ireland
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland>,
                > New Zealand
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand> and
                > a number of Caribbean
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean> nations.
                > It is the third-most-common
                > native language in the world,
                > after Mandarin Chinese
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Chinese> and
                > Spanish
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language>. It
                > is widely learned as a second
                > language
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_language> and
                > is an official language of the
                > European Union
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union>,
                > many Commonwealth
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations> countries
                > and the United Nations
                > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_the_United_Nations>,
                > as well as in many world
                > organisations.
                >
                > Thanks for your help.

              • Kjell Rehnström
                Message 7 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                  Chabi Chabi skrev 2013-05-06 12:22:
                  > *English* is a West Germanic
                  > language that is now the most
                  > widely used language in the
                  > world. It is spoken as a first
                  > language by the majority
                  > populations of several sovereign
                  > states
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_state>,
                  > including the United Kingdom
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom>,
                  > the United States
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>,
                  > Canada
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada>,
                  > Australia
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia>,
                  > Ireland
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland>,
                  > New Zealand
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand> and
                  > a number of Caribbean
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean> nations.
                  > It is the third-most-common
                  > native language in the world,
                  > after Mandarin Chinese
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_Chinese> and
                  > Spanish
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language>. It
                  > is widely learned as a second
                  > language
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_language> and
                  > is an official language of the
                  > European Union
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union>,
                  > many Commonwealth
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations> countries
                  > and the United Nations
                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_languages_of_the_United_Nations>,
                  > as well as in many world
                  > organisations.
                  Anglum es oksidentalgermani
                  (vestigermani?) lingue, kel es nu
                  li maxim vastim usati lingue del
                  monde. Lu bli parla kom unesmi
                  lingue per li majoritati
                  habitantaros (populises?) in pluri
                  suvereni states inklusentim
                  Unioniti Regia,Usa, Kanada,
                  Australia, Irlande, Novi Selandee
                  pluri Karibianinationes. Lum es li
                  triesmim maxim generalim usati
                  matralingue after chinanum e
                  spanum. Lum bli vastim lernati kom
                  duesmi lingue e es ofisiali lingue
                  del Europani Unione, in mult landes
                  del Britani Kondominie e in li
                  Unioniti Nationes, tant kom in
                  multi mundiali organisationes.

                  Kjell R
                • Donald Gasper
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                    Men versione:

                    Anglum es vestgermani lingue, kel es nun
                    li maxim vastim usati lingue del
                    monde. Lu bli parla kom unesmi
                    lingue da li majoritate del popule in pluri
                    suvereni states inklusenti li Unionati Regia,
                    li Usa, Kanada,Australia, Irlande, Novi Selande e
                    pluri Karibeani nationes. Lu es li
                    triesmim maxim generalim usati
                    matrelingue pos chinanum e
                    spanum. Lu bli vastim lernati kom
                    duesmi lingue e es un del 23 ofisiali lingues
                    del Europani Unione, un del six ofisiali lingues del Unionati Nationes e ofisiali lingue in mult landes
                    del Britanian Commonwealth, tant kom in
                    multi mondal organisationes.

                  • Kjell Rehnström
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                      Vun versione es tre bon. Spesialim
                      me prisa vun "matrelingue" kel e
                      naturalim maxim boni in Novial, den
                      kelki lingues usa matra-lingue e
                      altres patrelingue. Pro tum
                      matrelingue es maxim bon. Nus non
                      have *genitorlingue, desfelisim :-(

                      Ob British Commonwealth vud es
                      tradukebli per Britani kundominatu?

                      Kjell R
                      Donald Gasper skrev 2013-05-06 18:53:

                      > Men versione:

> [...]
                    • Donald Gasper
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 6, 2013
                        Li sense de Commonwealth es ke on kundivise li richeso.