Punctiation Rules (or Conventions)

  • nov_ialiste
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      Kar novialistes,

      one area which as far as I know has not been discussed is punctuation.

      Admittedly I am not very expert on the rules of punctuation in all of the basis langauges but I have some idea of the conventions in French, German and especially English.

      For direct speech I propose that the English-language convention be used.

      Under this convention quotation marks are used to open and to close a quotation. Another important aspect of the English-language system is when adjacent paragraphs are quoted. In the English system the paragraph ends with close quotation marks if the next paragraph is a different speaker. If the next paragraph begins with the quotation of the same speaker continuing the preceding paragraph, it does not have any close quotation marks.

      For example:

      X said "And I did tell him not to go down to the river."

      "Is that because it is so dangerous?"

      Here we know that the second qutation is from somebody other than X.

      In contrast:

      X said "And I did tell him not to go down to the river.

      "Is that because it is so dangerous?"

      Here we know that the second quatation is the same person, X, speaking because close the quatation marks are absent at the end of the precededing paragraph.

      I believe this to be a clear and unambiguous system which may be good enough to adopt as a rule to provide unambiguous clarity for readers.

      Apart from this it seems to me that the flexible use of commas in English, where a comma is optional before a subordinate clause is preferable. The German rule requiring such a comma seems unnecessary for the purposes of clarity.

      Salutos,

      nov_ialiste