Looking for a manuscript editor

  • lex53202
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2002
      Looking for a manuscript editor
      Does anyone here use a manuscript editor?
      I am about two to three weeks away from finishing the first draft of
      my first novel and I will soon be looking for a manuscript editor to
      work with on subsequent drafts. Being new to writing fiction I am
      unsure of the correct protocol when looking for, hiring or using an
      editor. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or possibly suggest
      someone?
    • Derek Varnals
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2002
        Lex,
        I use a manuscript editor. His name is T.C. Boyle. I can get you his info if you want.
        He's a crafty fellow, but if you ever get an opportunity to meet him, don't bring anything of value because he likes to pick pockets for fun. I once caught him doing that crap at a party and I told him I'd had quite enough of his antics and that he should probably leave while the getting was good. He understood but decided to toss an electric eel at the host anyway and we both ended up having to make mad dashes out of the nearest exits.
        Bastard throws great parties though, if you're ever in Los Angeles. He's done quite well for himself considering. As far as protocol, there isn't much. The man likes a fruit basket after you get published, but I sent him a can of Delmonte Peaches in corn syrup and he didn't complain. You can cut corners if that's your thing.
        Oh and don't let the plebe knock you around with his king's English. The man went to public school and now he tells everyone he went to Exeter and is some sort of blueblood. Just tell him you don't buy into his malarckey. Smacking him around can't hurt either.
        If you want, I can give you his info.
        Derek Varnals

        lex53202 <lexington101@...> wrote: Looking for a manuscript editor
        Does anyone here use a manuscript editor?
        I am about two to three weeks away from finishing the first draft of
        my first novel and I will soon be looking for a manuscript editor to
        work with on subsequent drafts. Being new to writing fiction I am
        unsure of the correct protocol when looking for, hiring or using an
        editor. Can anyone shed some light on this for me or possibly suggest
        someone?

      • Mick Lexington
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2002
          Thank you for your letter and somebody finally enlightening me to an editor I can work with.

          Reading your description of C.T. Boyle was like being served an ice cream soda on Marilyn Monroe's ass in the middle of the Sahara while in respite from pursuit by Nazi flood insurance sales men.

          I ask for an editor and so far what I've found are suburban soccer moms from Cleveland lecturing me on the grammatical ethics of Daniel Steel. They do not know for I am the illegitimate love child of Henry Miller and Jack Kerouac, born from Anais Nin's womb in Walt Whitman's seventh house and raised by Hemingway. I am in need of an editor who carries electric eels around in his vest pocket.

          I think I have said all that needs to be said at this time.

          Yes, please forwatd C.T. Boyle's info when possible. I will be near the Los Angeles area June 21 thru June 29.

          Mick Lexington

          804 North Van Buren #7

          Milwaukee, WI 53202

          414.271.9014