TMI on Dentals

  • Jandy Arnold
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
      Packy & Kirby both had dentals today, the first for both of them. First off, really good news that Packy's liver enzymes were all completely back to normal! Since he had that problem last year, knew they were going back down, but this was the first test that showed them normal - hurray!

      The vet had to switch anesthesia on Packy early on because he wasn't breathing well on what they started with. Once they made the switch, he was fine. This always scares me since my sister had a cat who died from anesthesia during de-clawing. When we picked them up, Packy was pretty alert, but has been whining on and off. Not his usual vocal whine, but more of a pathetic one, like he doesn't feel good. He did have a small supper and he's on my lap now.

      Kirby looked stoned when he came out and just slept on the way home. He's pretending to watch out the window right now, but I think he's really sleeping. He also had a light supper and seems to be holding it down. He looks like he doesn't feel good, poor boy.

      The vet told me that Kirby has small "pockets" around his lower front teeth. He said they ren't bad enough for him to take them out yet, but he wouldn't be surprised if Kirby loses them in the next few years. Kirby has bad gums and is a tartar factory. I guess we should have had his teeth cleaned sooner.

      Do you guys brush your dog's teeth? Theresa, somehow I can't see you brushing the teeth of 13 dogs. I bought a small bag of TD Bites to use a treats, to given them something crunchier than their regular food. Kirby is rarely interested in chewing on anything very long, his attention span can't handle it. Packy chews more which is probably why his teeth are better. <Sigh> I suppose I'm going to have to attempt brushing teeth. It's going to take two of us, I bet.

      So, TMI (too much information) about our dogs's teeth. Have a good evening. I'll be here with a dog or two on my lap.

      ~ Jandy

      Sent from my iPad
    • Theresa Wegner
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
        I just do the raw chicken wings. I might need to get Spike done, tho.
        his bad overbite,
        causes problems, they just don't line up, no matter what he chews. you
        know, Jake
        didn't have a serious problem till he was about 14 yrs old. Boromir I
        have to watch
        more. Lilli's 11 now, and has a *dark* front tooth, that she'll probably
        lose. I think
        that's more related to having all their teeth, but needing a little
        wider jaw, so the
        teeth aren't crowded. also, all of mine love those smelly old cow
        hooves, so I don't
        know if that helps, or not. what's hilarious, I give them to them when
        they are
        crated to chew, and after a week or so, when they are bored, I just
        switch them out,
        something about having *someone elses* hoof, they just love! <snort> and
        they
        steal them out of each other's crates, too. if I don't watch Nicole
        (does this sound
        familiar?) she will have an entire STASH of hooves in her crate. lol

        Theresa
      • Theresa Wegner
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
          oh yeah, and yay! on Packy's numbers!! I would not want to check
          Sophie's, as she's
          still on pred, but I've weaned her down to half dose. she's on 2 1/2
          daily, I cut her 5 in
          half. she's been on that half dose, prob since Christmas. also still on
          milk thistle support.
          and I never did hear back from that Uni on their testing, I've had so
          many other projects,
          I forgot to go chase after them again. they never returned my call. you
          think places like that,
          could at least call & leave a mssg, if they don't get you, but not even
          call back??? I couldn't
          get an answer over the phone, I had to talk to the specific lab or
          something, so they took
          mssg of what I wanted, with a promise to call back.

          Theresa
        • Ken & Jandy Arnold
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013

            Our vets are really down on raw feeding.  They said they’ve seen too many choking and things caught, so they kind of scared me off of that.  I never did it much anyway, so I guess it wasn’t much of a loss.  And since Packy has had things caught in his throat before, and I think it was Kirby where we had to do the baby Heimlich maneuver on, I’m just scared of it.  I’m going to get some new hard bones and stuff liver treats inside.  I used to do that for both Packy way back but haven’t don’t it in a while.  The thing is, Kirby just isn’t a chewer.  Maybe I should try hooves.  He does like bully sticks, but they’re so darn expensive and don’t last long.

            Funny about Nicole stealing all the hooves.  I was telling someone the other day that you still had Packy’s mom and they were amazed.  Then, of course, we got into the whole conversation about what they would do if they met, if they would “know” each other, etc.

            ~ Jandy

            I just do the raw chicken wings. I might need to get Spike done, tho.
            his bad overbite,
            causes problems, they just don't line up, no matter what he chews. you
            know, Jake
            didn't have a serious problem till he was about 14 yrs old. Boromir I
            have to watch
            more. Lilli's 11 now, and has a *dark* front tooth, that she'll probably
            lose. I think
            that's more related to having all their teeth, but needing a little
            wider jaw, so the
            teeth aren't crowded. also, all of mine love those smelly old cow
            hooves, so I don't
            know if that helps, or not. what's hilarious, I give them to them when
            they are
            crated to chew, and after a week or so, when they are bored, I just
            switch them out,
            something about having *someone elses* hoof, they just love! and
            they
            steal them out of each other's crates, too. if I don't watch Nicole
            (does this sound
            familiar?) she will have an entire STASH of hooves in her crate. lol

            Theresa

          • Shirley Woods
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
              I tried brushing.  Boy was that funny. Senna would just duck his head and look at me under his eyebrows. Schumi hides under the bed where I can't get to her. All in all it was not a frequent event. Baths and nail clipping is enough of an issue. They act like I'm going to drown them and then cut off there paws.
              I'm anxious to see what Schumi's liver numbers are off medication.

              Sent from my iPad