Re: Ellie's bedtime walk

  • Lorie McDaniel-this is a NEW email addres
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
      Mother, thank you for your genuine concern (unlike some people in the family).  This could have been a very serious incident, possibly deadly!

      I will google possum, but I feel pretty certain.  It walked like a small bear, on all four.  You know what a bear looks like, after your brush with the bear in WI!

      Lorie, are you sure it was a possum?  Gene-o said that possums are never aggressive..... did it have a smooth tail?  How close did it get to you?  He said and i agree that you should  carry a can of mace with you .... esp for this sort of thing... we're glad you and El are ok...
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
        This is what we saw, except it was a little more "ragged" looking...

        raccoon005.jpg

[...]

        =

        ~Lorie McDaniel
        ***pls make note of my new email***

      • kjwarnold@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
          That's raccoon, not a possum!

          This is what we saw, except it was a little more "ragged" looking...

          On Aug 1, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Billie Stimmel wrote:

          > Lorie, are you sure it was a possum? Gene-o said that possums are
          > never aggressive..... did it have a smooth tail? How close did it
          > get to you? He said and i agree that you should carry a can of
          > mace with you .... esp for this sort of thing... we're glad you and
          > El are ok...

          ~Lorie McDaniel
          ***pls make note of my new email***
          jenniferlorie@...
        • Wegner Novelty Farm
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

             possums don't usually carry rabies...but, they don't usually fight unless cornered,                                                                                                                                                                   &n! bsp;          but they are nasty when the do fight...believe it or not, Ellie probably could have                                                                                                                                                                    &! nbsp;    handled it! possum's one of the critters Cairns (Terriers) are used on. lol

            Theresa
          • Wegner Novelty Farm
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

              If that picture is correct, that is a raccoon, they are extremely vicious, and have killed dogs!

              they also are big carrier of rabies, if it came after you, highly likely.

              Theresa

            • Lorie McDaniel-this is a NEW email addres
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
                I am always amused by which emails get responses and the ones that don't.  This one has gotten tons!  And, everyone has said that the beast that went after was a raccoon, so we'll go with that.  I have no experience with raccoons or possums and I am not certain why I even went with possum to begin with!

                Last time I lived in Lincoln Park (3 yrs ago), I had no dog.  I never had any reason to notice such critters.  I was talking to a woman walking her yorkie today and she said "yep, there are raccoons, squirrels, and rats the size of grown cats".  The rats I have seen bec/ they always freaked me out  & they were HUGE!  Lots of restaurants & dumpsters in the area, so it is a good food source for many creatures.

                Well, we will be careful.  Do you know what the best thing to do is when being chased by a rabid raccoon?  It appeared that running just aggravated the situaition, yet I would hate to just sit there.  Next time (hopefully, there will not be one), I am going to immediately pick Ellie up and carry her.  I don't care if it gets me (well, I do care) but I don't want it to get her.  I can fight better than she can (pls don't tell her I said that... she would be crushed).

                I have lost the emails with the dates for the Family Reunion.  We decided on the one w/ the activities rather than the AKC show, right?  What is that weekend?

                I am totally moved out of my old place.  The closing is on Tues.  The buyer moved her stuff in today, but just for storage.  She can't live there until it closes.  I gave my attorney my power of attorney so I don't even have to go to the closing... love that!

                Now, just unpacking boxes and taking little breaks to walk El. We both enjoy the new 'hood so much.  She is exhausted when bedtime rolls around.  I ordered her a dog basket to go on my bike.  We took a test ride today and it works beautifully.  Tomorrow we will ride up to dog beach.

                Have a good evening,
                ~L &  El
                On Aug 1, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Wegner Novelty Farm wrote:

                If that picture is correct, that is a raccoon, they are extremely vicious, and have killed dogs!

                they also are big carrier of rabies, if it came after you, highly likely.

                Theresa

                ~Lorie McDaniel
                ***pls make note of my new email***

              • Ken & Jandy Arnold
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

                  You know, if you wear a long dress with a high neck and put your hair up in a bun, you’ll look like Elmira Gulch – you know, that lady who took Toto away and rode off on her bike with him in the basket.  You’ve seen the rabid raccoons; just watch out for the flying monkeys!  Honestly, I’ve seen people riding with their dogs, some even in backpacks, but I just can’t see mine sitting still for that.

                  I think we picked the weekend of Sept. 19th for the Novelty Reunion at Purina Farms.  There are shows on the 18th, 19th and 20th but I don’t remember which ones Theresa has entered.  Since it’s at Purina Farms, Theresa is going to see if we can practice some earthdog while we’re there.

                  ~ Jandy

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009
                    LOL...   I think I have previously mentioned that I do NOT like the Wizard Of Oz.  As a kid, it terrified me.  The flying monkeys were about as bad as it can get for a kid.  So, I am glad you reminded me of who Elmira Gulch was.  Yep... that nasty raccoon was almost as bad as the flying monkeys.  The funny thing is, El now goes to that one place in anticipation of seeing the raccoon again.

                    Really, I think you would be surprised with the dogs & the bike basket.  El holds her head up and the wind blows in her face.  I can tell she enjoyed it.  I will try to get a pic of her tomorrow.  Okay, weekend of 9/19/09 is in the calendar.  Ellie will LOVE the opportunity to get at those possum/raccoons/rats!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2009

                      I was afraid of those flying monkeys, too.  Our boys would be running right back to the scene of the scare, just like Ellie.  My nephew has a wolf hat that really gets Kirby.  Bryce will put it on and crawl around growling and it kind of scares Kirby.  I think it’s that scary kind of fun thing, you know?  Kirby goes into his velociraptor growl and hides, then runs out at him, then runs to hide behind me, then makes a ran at Bryce again.  It’s pretty funny.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                        Hi guys, sorry it's taken me so long to write.  We got back from Mexico the  middle of July and I've been super busy every since.  I have been reading all of the postings though.
                        We had a wonderful time in Cancun. 8 days was just not enough time.  Great weather, great food and great friends made for a memorable vacation.  Our friends celebrated their 25th anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony in a gazebo overlooking the beach..just beautiful.  Our boys had a good time too!  17 year olds can find lots to do at the beach!
                        Jandy, it sounds like you're having a wonderful time too.  I love to read all about your vacation.
                        Lori, I was so scared for you and little El.  I know that fear when you're walking and not sure of what kind of animal is behind you.  When Bax was little I used to walk him early in the morning before the sun was fully up.  In a neighbors yard I saw something in the grass.  It was some kind of annimal that I couldn't make out.  I had heard from neighbors that we had many skunks in the neighborhood and I got super scared and got home immediately.  Luckily we weren't being chased by it.  I'm really glad you were both ok.  What a horrible experience.
                        I simply love Ellie in her bike basket.  That's probably the cutest thing I've seen in a long time. I'm really suprised that she doesn't try to jump out.  I guess she is just a  good girl.

                        Theresa, I have a dog psychology question for you.  When we were on vacation we put Baxter in a kennel.  I know the people that own the kennel and they just love dogs and I know he was treated well.  But, when we came home Baxter went into our bedroom and on my side of the bed he went pee!  It wasn't immediately when we got home and he had been let out in the back yard to go.  It was a couple hours later and he just went in and peed.  He has never done that before.  Could it be because we put him in a kennel and he wanted to punish me?  I'm still trying to figure this out.

                        Hey can't wait for the dog family reunion.  I should be free that weekend and I've already told Baxter that we will go and see his family.  I don't want to dissapoint him......I don't want to have to clean my comforter again!

                        I love the video of the dog show in Marion.  Those little guys are just so cute it really makes me want to have another ...to keep Baxter company.

                        So long for now.

                        Colleen

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                          I'll bet he was a little mad a you for leaving him and was just showing you. Or he was re-marking his territory. Packy did that twice, both times when we had company. That's been quite a while ago though. Kirby did it once, on the bed in the RV. Seems like that was on one of our first trips and was on a cover I had just put on; one that I had never used before. I figured he was marking it and it hasn't happened again.

                          Glad to hear you had a good time and are home safe and sound. We should be home some time next week. Our regular bed at home is going to feel awfully good!

                          - Jandy

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                            Welcome back Colleen!  I wondered where you were, how your trip was & how Baxter is doing.  I thought you would really enjoy Cancun.

                            We have had a busy week.  Moving is an adjustment but everyone here seems to have jumped into with a good attitude.  Ellie loves her new walks... so many new directions to go, things to smell.  Looking forward to the weekend so we can explore more together.

                            If you guys have had to endure any of the emails about "Ellie's Bedtime Walk" that were not about the walk, I am sorry.  Wow, that is such a strange situation and I don't know how it developed into the tense exchange that was originally such a simple story.  I have asked everyone to just stop.  Sorry again.

                            Okay, going to get ready for bed.  I have a security guard (aka, Ellie) that I now have to crate at night bec/ she can;t go on break... she is always security around the new place.  Every time someone comes or goes, she needs to announce it to the world.

                            Have a good night,
                            ~L & EL

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                              yep, I think he just came home, went...wow, I'm HOME, and this is
                              MINE!  he should get better, as he matures, and if you make trips,
                              and he realises he keeps coming home, even if he's boarded.

                              Spike's in trouble, Benjamin said he was putting a couple up in their
                              crates, and turned around, and Spike was peeing on MY pillow today!
                              he yelled, and Spike *grinned*, and ran and jumped in his crate...it
                              could also be, because Rose is in heat!  and slept on my pillow last
                              night.

                              Theresa
                            • Wegner Novelty Farm
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                                nah, don't worry...remember anything sent to the list, by those not on the
                                list, will bounce. so we won't get them...

                                as far as that goes, usually the best way to handle those heated cracks.
                                laugh, and then ignore them. if they can't get a rise, the fun wears off. lol

                                Theresa