Fun day.

  • Bob & Theresa Wegner
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      was exhausting. lol  Boromir worked the Jr tunnel, and we worked on
      recall. that was a little hard, as he has to back 30' and around 3 turns.
      silly goof made it to the last turn, backed into the wall, I could see him,
      but went back thru. lol  so we went to the short tunnel, only she told me,
      when I remove the rats, you take them, run back, and call him, so he
      finds the rats now with you...success, by the 3rd time, she pulled the
      rats, and he was flying out of the tunnel...yeah!  but, didn't work on the
      long tunnel, she turned him around, and he flew out. lol   best part is,
      the 1st time back, I'm thinking he's going to book it, and I grab the rat
      cage and run! down the little bank, convered in leaves with hickory nuts
      underneath...so I discovered, when my feet flew out, rat cage in my hands,
      and landed on the ground...on top of more nuts!  there were some gasps,
      and someone turned to Bob and said, is she ok??  he said, oh yeah...as
      I didn't even bother to get up, just rolled and shifted to get in front of the
      tunnel. lol I yelled back, hey, I PLANNED to be here...just not that way! lol
      Spike ran the small tunnel, as he wouldn't the Jr, then we went back and
      he ran the Jr.  Sophie just wasn't in it today. she did go to the rats, but left
      when she saw the bars...would work the rats, but not thru the bars...hmmm
      Teddy & Rose we were just walking to see what they'd do, and let the boys
      & Sophie cool off, drink and rest in their crates...they hollered, let them do
      the race...so Rose & Teddy ran the lure course, no muzzles, since they were
      used to each other. then they ran a JRT with them, muzzled it, but didn't worry
      about the Cairns...no wonder, them Jacks can run! lol  Teddy & Rose were
      gamely trying...also, that time was the hurdles, and they hadn't done that
      before. funny, they said the Cairns were the first dogs of the day to run thru
      the hole, following the lure, into the catch pen...especially funny, considering
      they'd never even ran it before. lol  (at least I don't remember them, Boromir's
      done it, even Spike...Issachar...maybe Sophie? but I don't remember Rose &
      Teddy) oh well.

      did I mention I'm tired???  and might be a little stiff in the morning. lol

      Theresa
    • Ken & Jandy Arnold
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008

        Too bad we didn’t make it, but after being out of town for 6 days the previous weekend, we weren’t going anywhere.  I would have loved to see Kirby try out the tunnels!

        On Friday, we took the boys over to a neighbor’s house for a visit.  He had a chipmunk in a trap that he caught earlier in the day.  Of course both boys went nuts over that chipmunk, so he sent it home with us as a “treat” for Halloween.  Ken let it loose by a woodpile and boy, did those Cairns take off after it!  They would have had it if they weren’t on leashes, but Ken didn’t want them catching and killing it.  They’re digging tunnels all over at our neighbor’s place, but they haven’t caused problems here, so Ken still likes them.  I do, too – they’re pretty cute.  Kirby sits on the back of our loveseat and watches them and squirrels out the window.  He wouldn’t stop barking yesterday, so we tried the pennies in a soda can to surprise him and get him to stop barking.  It worked miracles on Packy when he was little.  Well, it didn’t faze Kirby but Packy was terrorized!  Guess we won’t try that anymore.  Time to get a water bottle, I guess.

        ~ Jandy

        Didn’t anyone ask if the rat was okay after you wiped out?

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          yep, break out the water bottle...but, wasn't that Kirby and sisters in the
          ex-pen I soaked for barking? lol    I need the water bottle in the bedroom.
          Ulicia barks if anyone gets up and moves thru the night. ugh!  lol
          Benjamin got mad and yelled at her, right in her face, I was getting ready
          to light into him, but noticed that she was barking harder, tail wagging
          wildly, screaming...oh right! fun!!   I said, Benjamin, don't yell at that baby!
          yeah, I really scared her, he said.    lol

          Theresa
        • Bob & Theresa Wegner
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            >Didn’t anyone ask if the rat was okay after you wiped out?<

            missed this part. lol  if they did, I missed it...but, they were having a
            bad rat day, they don't speak of it loudly, but one of the dogs managed
            to pull a rat thru the bars. lol  came out slinging it...no more rat. Bob saw
            it, only reason I know. lol   they try not to advertise it, but I bet that dog's
            gung ho from now on. lol

            Theresa
          • Ken & Jandy Arnold
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008

              Wow, I’ll get he was king among the dogs that day.  Good thing PETA wasn’t around!  None of our dogs have ever gotten hold of wildlife, but I’m certain that Kirby would be slinging.  Packy can shake toys with the best of them, but I have a feeling that he’d just hold on to it and bring it to me, like a gift.  He does that with fish and he’s becoming very gentle.  Willie was rough on toys, too, but he was a gentle guy, too.  We’ll have to see how Kirby matures.

              Both boys were so quiet and good last night.  We watched a movie and after playing with the nylabones for a while, they just laid on the couch and napped.  What a quiet evening at our house!  Usually it’s rubber chicken toys being flung around (Packy hit me in the face with one the other night!), chasing each other or tails (I love that!), trying to take bones away from each other, and general mayhem.  I hauled our big backpack blower around for a good part of the day, working on leaves, so I was beat and sore.  A nice quiet evening was just what I needed!

            • colleendeguire@charter.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
                I can totally relate to the sitting at the window and barking. Baxter still does some of that. When he was little we tried the spray bottle of water and that little snot liked it!! He thought it was fun to try and bite at the water. He would actually look for it and when he would see it on the counter in the kitchen he would sit and whine and cry because he wanted to be squirted.
                Now when we're outside in the summer and we are watering the grass he loves to jump in the water and bite at the water droplets coming down at him. ....so much for the toys I buy him!