RE: [novarubygroup] Ruby IDE?

  • Tom Copeland
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
      \
      > I'd be curious to know how many people use (and like) any
      > IDE's for Ruby, and if so, which ones? Or do you just text
      > editors, and if so, do you use your usual preferred editor
      > (vi, emacs, etc.) or another editor with Ruby-specific features?
      >
      > I downloaded and installed the One-Click Installer, which
      > includes the FreeRIDE IDE, and also the RDE from Sourceforge.
      > At first glance, RDE looks better, but that's just first glance.

      I've been using Eclipse + RDT:

      http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/

      It works pretty well - syntax highlighting, running unit tests from with
      Eclipse, all that sort of thing.

      Yours,

      Tom
    • John Athayde
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
        I use textmate, but i've heard good things about Komodo:

        On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:04 PM, krbennettmd wrote:

        All -

        I'd be curious to know how many people use (and like) any IDE's for
        Ruby, and if so, which ones?  Or do you just text editors, and if so,
        do you use your usual preferred editor (vi, emacs, etc.) or another
        editor with Ruby-specific features?

        I downloaded and installed the One-Click Installer, which includes the
        FreeRIDE IDE, and also the RDE from Sourceforge.  At first glance, RDE
        looks better, but that's just first glance.

        Any preferences?
        \

        --

        John Athayde

        bobo@...

        Meticulous | www.meticulous.com (work)

        Rotoscope | www.rotoscope.com (sound: rock band)

        Boboroshi & Kynz | www.boboroshiandkynz.com (sound: electronic)

        Personal Weblog | www.boboroshi.com (play)

        temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

                 - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

                               Reply of the Pennsylvania Assembly to the Governor

                                         November 11, 1755

      • krbennettmd
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
          Tom -

          Awesome!!!!!

          Not only does it look to be a great tool, it's free and I can use it
          on all my OS's...the IDE's I was looking at were Windows only, and
          another one I found which was cross-platform was a commercial product.

          Thank you very, very much.

          - Keith

          --- In novarubygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Copeland" <tom@i...> wrote:

          > \
          > > I'd be curious to know how many people use (and like) any
          > > IDE's for Ruby, and if so, which ones? Or do you just text
          > > editors, and if so, do you use your usual preferred editor
          > > (vi, emacs, etc.) or another editor with Ruby-specific features?
          > >
          > > I downloaded and installed the One-Click Installer, which
          > > includes the FreeRIDE IDE, and also the RDE from Sourceforge.
          > > At first glance, RDE looks better, but that's just first glance.
          >
          > I've been using Eclipse + RDT:
          >
          > http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > It works pretty well - syntax highlighting, running unit tests from with
          > Eclipse, all that sort of thing.
          >
          > Yours,
          >
          > Tom

        • Scott Sayles
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
            I particularly like having the debugger support with Eclipse + RDT although I'll alternate between that and vim (using tags and various Ruby related features).  I tried Arachno but wasn't crazy about it.  Eclipse has lots of mind share and easy plugibility which makes me feel that we'll likely see more and more Ruby support.  I also use it for browsing C code which works pretty well.

            The big thing to me is that by using a debugger you can get a profound understanding of what's going on in a program much faster than by just reading the code. (Please make note I said "can" and not "will".)  I've run into some Ruby snobbs that say things like "I've never used a debugger" like it was some kind of badge of honor.  I saw screw that ego trip nonsense.  Whatever works, works.

            I seem to find that lots of people doing Ruby on mac tend to use textmate.  At least, the ones who've already been doing it for a while.

            Scott

            On 12/7/05, krbennettmd <kbennett@...> wrote:
            All -

            I'd be curious to know how many people use (and like) any IDE's for
            Ruby, and if so, which ones?  Or do you just text editors, and if so,
            do you use your usual preferred editor (vi, emacs, etc.) or another
            editor with Ruby-specific features?

            I downloaded and installed the One-Click Installer, which includes the
            FreeRIDE IDE, and also the RDE from Sourceforge.  At first glance, RDE
            looks better, but that's just first glance.

            Any preferences?

            Thanks,
            Keith

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Devin Mullins
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
              I've been using TextMate on OS X, and RadRails on Windows. Both vi and
              emacs have all sorts of ruby-mode features, if you're into that, though.
              (The language author, matz, maintains the emacs one.)

              Search the ruby-talk archives more plenty more on this, though. There an
              IDE thread about once a month. It should probably be added to
              http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyTalkPermaThreads :)

              Devin

              krbennettmd wrote:

              >All -
              >
              >I'd be curious to know how many people use (and like) any IDE's for
              >Ruby, and if so, which ones? Or do you just text editors, and if so,
              >do you use your usual preferred editor (vi, emacs, etc.) or another
              >editor with Ruby-specific features?
              >
              >I downloaded and installed the One-Click Installer, which includes the
              >FreeRIDE IDE, and also the RDE from Sourceforge. At first glance, RDE
              >looks better, but that's just first glance.
              >
              >Any preferences?
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Keith

            • Tom Copeland
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
                On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 22:13 +0000, krbennettmd wrote:
                > Tom -
                >
                > Awesome!!!!!
                >
                > Not only does it look to be a great tool, it's free and I can use it
                > on all my OS's...the IDE's I was looking at were Windows only, and
                > another one I found which was cross-platform was a commercial product.
                >
                > Thank you very, very much.

                No problemo! I think the nicest thing is that they keep that update
                site maintained, so all you have to do is occasionally run the Eclipse
                updater thingy and you get the latest version. Pretty sweet!

                Yours,

                Tom
              • m m
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
                  The Komodo IDE seems to have the best support for code
                  completion, which is the thing I miss most when
                  programming in Ruby. I haven't been doing enough work
                  in Ruby to justifying paying for it, yet. Right now I
                  am still working with RDT in Eclipse so that I can use
                  the JSP editor for RHTML files.

                  I used this document to help with the setup...
                  http://www.napcs.com/howto/railsonwindows.html

                  -Matt

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Scott Sayles
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2005
                    I too have been spoiled by code completion. :-p

                    Yeah, that's a good document for RDT.  I just wanted to mention that much of those instructions apply to other platforms as well just in case that might scare non-windows users away.  Just have to substitute path and command executable names as appropriate.

                    Anyone else out there using RDT and have used it to debug a RoR app?  Did you have much success?

                    Scott

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Russ Olsen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 8, 2005
                      All:

                      At the risk of having Scott Sayles call me a Ruby snob ;-), I think
                      that one of the great benefits of Ruby is that it is actually
                      possible to develop in it without a huge amount IDE
                      support. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't use an
                      IDE, but that it is nice to be back in a language that
                      is simple enough, with libraries that are mostly intuitive
                      enough, that I can actually code sith my own bear hands.

                      Of course, I also hate the fact that my car seems to think
                      it knows when to turn the headlights on better than I do,
                      so perhaps you can't go by me.

                      Russ
                      On 12/7/05, John Athayde <bobo@...> wrote:
[...]

                      Programming languages Northern virginia Computer security
                      C programming language Computer programming languages Computer training

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS