- - WHAT IS THAT STENCH? IDAHO'S HOT POTATO!

  • notmilk2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:56 AM
      The great State of Idaho has almost three times as
      many agricultural animals as it does people. According
      to the 2002 World Almanac, Idaho is home to 1,293,000
      human residents, 2 million dairy cows and cattle
      275,000 sheep, 24,000 hogs, and 1.2 million chickens.

      Humans use toilets, and their waste is treated. The
      animals pollute their environment, and Idaho's House
      Agricultural committee is considering legislation to
      deal with Idaho's notorious odors.

      The state song of Idaho is "Here we have Idaho."

      They must sing that song in neighboring territories, for
      the stench of animals leaves a perpetual smell that offends
      bordering areas of Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Oregon,
      Washington, and British Columbia.

      Perpetual smell?

      Idaho's stinky state motto is: Esto Perpetua
      (It is perpetual).

      America's "gem state" is no diamond in the
      rough. The gem in question smells worse than
      sulfur. Yellow rose of Texas? Nope. Yellow
      urea and nitrates of Idaho.

      On Tuesday (February 26, 2002), Idaho's House
      Agricultural Affairs Committee produced a tie
      vote on proposed tightening of odor legislation.
      The heated hearing on the bill lasted more
      than five hours. In other words, half of Idaho's
      elected representives like that smell just fine.

      What is stinky to some state representatives must
      be perfume to others, particularly those with
      interests in the agricultural sector.

      Try to define the word "odor," as these men and
      women are doing. A rose by any other name will
      still produce lovely bouquets, while cow
      manure results in the same rottenness in both
      Denmark and Idaho.

      The proposed bill establishes fines of $1 per day
      per "animal unit." Lobbyists are making it difficult
      for committee members. This fight is splitting the
      legislature in half, but the most poignant comment
      was made by Representative Gary Young, R-Moscow.

      "But I have driven through the Twin Falls area in
      the summer and in the winter, and I would not want
      to live there. The industry has either got to do
      something about this problem, or the (agriculture)
      department has to. I tell you something has got to
      be done."

      I have a suggestion for these men and women
      of political wisdom.

      When I think of Idaho, I apply my vision of "Esto Perpetua"
      to those wonderful Idaho potatoes. These veggies do not
      stink. That is, until they exit from the multi-chambered
      stomachs of Idaho bovines. So, grow potatoes. Grow
      veggies. Retire those agricultural units, and retire
      the smells.

      Until that bill is passed, I offer my advice to you all.
      When taking that Olympic drive from Salt Lake City to the
      Oregon border through Boise on route 84, keep your
      windows closed and burn incense. This way, you will not
      be incensed by Idaho’s perpetual animal smell.