- - EMAIL EXCHANGE WITH A COLLEGE DAIRY MAJOR

  • i4crob
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 6:13 AM
      Dear Friends,

      I enjoy having intelligent exchanges
      with college dairy majors. Unfortunately,
      yesterday's experience/today's column
      falls far short of being an intelligent
      exchange.

      William Bryon Green of Michigan State
      University (greenwi5@...) wrote:

      {IS RBST SAFE? The answer is yes. It
      is safe for everyone...cows and humans}

      ROBERT COHEN RESPONDED:

      Dear William,

      You know what would be fun?
      A debate.
      How about if I come to MSU and you put
      together a debate of ME vs. YOU and any
      five of your colleagues or professors.
      I have just one condition. It is to be
      filmed. If I lose the debate, I will be
      proven wrong, and forever shamed.

      If you are wrong, maybe this will be the
      learning experience of a lifetime for you.

      WILL WROTE:

      {ok...first of all you said rbGH is "now
      in America's cheese ice cream and milk".
      rbGH is a naturally occuring hormone}

      ROBERT RESPONDED:

      No it is not. The "r" in rbGH stands for
      "recombinant." That means it is genetically
      engineered.

      WILL WROTE:

      {and (RBgh) is in milk and cheese and every dairy
      product. Not only is it already there but it
      does not increase when shots are administered.}

      ROBERT RESPONDED:

      The bGH does increase. That was demonstrated
      by Groenewegen, MacBride, and Elsasser at
      the University of Guelph (Juskevich and Guyer,
      SCIENCE, 8/24/90). You are not going to do very
      well in this debate, my friend.

      WILL WROTE:

      {Even if it did bGH is a a growth hormone made up
      of proteins. A protein that is not able to cross
      species meaning the bovine growth hormone is
      completely different and non interchangable with
      human or rabit or whatever.}

      ROBERT RESPONDED:

      You don't have a chance in this debate. IGF-I
      has 70 amino acids in bovines and humans,
      and they occur in the identical sequence.

      WILL WROTE:

      {Another thing, if these cows were actually in
      pain, the bGH would not work.}

      ROBERT RESPONDED:

      I'll save that one for the debate.
      You are probably a nice person.
      Just ignorant of the facts. Oh, well.
      That is what debates are for.

      WILL WRITES BACK AND REJECTS THE CHALLENGE:

      {I'm going to have to pass you up on that.
      I have a feeling that you would win. Not
      because you are right but because debates
      are won by the person who seems (emphasis
      on the word seems) more convincing. Also a
      loss captured on film would simply be more
      propaganda for you and your little vegan
      friends. Since my side is winning throughout
      the world as we speak. I guess theres really
      no need. Now don't go thinking im afraid.
      Its just that you dont need any publicity,
      good or bad. And im definately not going to
      give it to you.}

      ROBERT'S FINAL RESPONSE:

      My little vegan friends?

      Be careful where you step, Will. Those little
      squishy things on the floor may be human
      gonads.

      Signed: Robert (The NOTMILK
      TERROR) Cohen.

      WILL'S RESPONSE:

      {my gonads can be wherever they want.
      as long as milk is in millions of
      households...im winning}

      WHAT CAN YOU DO?

      How about writing to Michigan State
      University and suggest that the
      student newspaper sponsor the
      ultimate debate? Michigan State
      University's mascot is the Spartan.
      I bet they would like to defend
      their dairy program, just as the
      Spartan soldiers defended the Greek
      empire from Persian invasions 2,500
      years ago.

      Send a letter to the Michigan State
      University newspaper, STATE NEWS:

      http://www.statenews.com/mail_editor.phtml

      Tell them that the NOTMILKMAN challenges their
      dairy department to a debate, questioning whether
      they are teaching students the truth or dairy
      industry milk mustache propaganda.

      Michigan State University includes the W. K.
      Kellogg Biological Research station, home to a
      638 acre dairy farm in which 99 Holstein cows
      are milked three times daily to produce over
      7000 pounds of milk per day. Whole milk in
      America contains 3.25 percent butterfat, but
      the average fat in the milk of Michigan State
      University cow's milk is 3.42 percent.

      Let the student newspaper know that this may
      very well be the reason that their once-powerful
      football team, once the best team in America,
      compiled a losing 3-5 conference record in 2001.
      (Too much fat!)