Disapointing Survival Outcomes for Double Masectomies

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2014
      "Other times, I look at my scars and see something
      else: a girl who was trying to cope with something
      horrible that she should never have had to live
      through at all. My scars show pain and suffering,
      but they also show my will to survive. They're part
      of my history that'll always be there."
       - Cheryl Rainfield, Scars

      *     *     *     *

      Researchers at the Department of surgery at the Minnesota
      Medical College have assessed survival outcomes for breast
      cancer victims electing to have double mastectomies. Their
      research has been published in the August 1, 2014 issue
      of the Journal of The National Cancer Institute.

      Thanks to Angelina Jolie's idiotic decision after testing
      positive for the BRCA gene, many women have become
      inspired, with a little help from their cancer surgeons,
      to mutilate their breasts and make their oncologists
      wealthy in the process by undergoing pointless surgical
      interventions. Such surgeries have accelerated after the
      publicity Jolie received by removing her healthy breasts.

      Drs. Portschy, Kuntz, and Tuttle determined:

      "Predicted live extension gain (from voluntary double
      mastectomies) ranged from 0.13 to 0.59 years for women
      with stage I breast cancer and 0.08 to 0.29 years for
      those with stage II breast cancer."

      In other words, if you have stage 2 breast cancer, removal
      of your breasts will result in an average life extension of
      .21 years, or 76 days, while if you have stage 1 breast cancer,
      that double mastectomy will result in a life extension of .46
      years, or 169 days. Is all of the subsequent surgical pain and
      suffering and rehabilitation, and psychological indignity worth
      such short-term upsides?

      The experts concluded:

      "The absolute 20-year survival benefit from (2X mastectomy) was
      less than 1% among all age, ER status, and cancer stage groups."

      When it comes to the decision of removing one's breasts after
      a breast cancer diagnosis, a woman's informed decision based
      upon this new science might include this option:

      "Let it be".

      *     *     *     *

      "When I find myself in times of trouble
      Mother Mary comes to me
      Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
      And in my hour of darkness
      She is standing right in front of me
      Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
      Let it be, let it be
      Let it be, let it be
      Whisper words of wisdom, let it be"
       - Paul McCartney, 1970

      ***Copy & Post Column to Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites***
      https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NotMilk/conversations/messages/5087