S'More Fine & Dandy Feelings Round Summer Campfires

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2014

      "Women eat ice-cream, men toast marshmallows."
      - Dianna Hardy, Cry Of The Wolf

      *     *     *     *

      Tonight, I'll enjoy the first three nights sleeping under
      the stars at Whiteface Mountain in New York's Adirondacks.
      Two days from today, Sunday, July 27th, the annual Lake
      Placid Ironman Triathlon takes over the town, and while
      I will not be competing in this year's event, I will be
      doing some serious spectating, cheering on friends from
      my local northern New Jersey Glen Rock triathlon club.

      Lake Placid, New York is the site of America's upset
      victory over the Soviet Union in the 1980 Winter Olympics.
      The United States team went on to win Gold that year,
      but for me, nothing beats the thrill of watching
      three thousand athletes swim 2.4 miles and then bike
      112 miles followed by a 26.2 mile marathon run. The
      Triathlon race begins at 7 AM, and officially ends
      seventeen hours later at midnight. During that interval
      of time, thousands of athletes pay the price and collapse
      at the finish line and experience the post-race fun of
      having one or more pints of intravenous fluids dripped
      into their veins.

      I've watched the race before, and cry each time a runner
      crosses the finish line. As he or she does, announcer Mike
      Reilly broadcasts something like, "Congratulations Jane
      Smith, number 3290 from Yonkers, New York, you are an
      Ironman". The emotion of the moment is addictive, and
      shared by all.

      On Friday and Saturday nights, I'll be at the campgrounds
      enjoying vegan hot dogs which will finish with vegan
      s'mores, those impossible to resist campfire treats
      composed of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate.

      Most marshmallows include gelatin derived from animal bones
      and animal cartilage. Not exactly vegan fare. Thanks to
      Chicago Vegan Food company, vegans can enjoy a cruelty-free
      alternative, Dandies Vegan Marshmallows. On July 2, 2014,
      I read a P.R. Newswire press release from Dandie's. Their
      product has just received a non-GMO rating. In other words,
      the soy powder and lecithin used to make their marshmallows
      do not come from genetically modified plants.

      I buy my vegan marshmallows at Whole Foods.

      "Keep close to Nature"' heart...and break clear away,
      once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week
      in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
      - John Muir

      ***Copy & Post Column to Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites***