Powerful Vegan Messages

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2014

      "O captain! My Captain!
      Our fearful trip is done.
      The ship has weather'd every wrack
      The prize we sought is won
      The port is near, the bells I hear
      The people all exulting
      While follow eyes, the steady keel
      The vessel grim and daring
      But Heart! Heart! Heart!
      O the bleeding drops of red
      Where on the deck my captain lies
      Fallen cold and dead."
      - Walt Whitman (Eulogy written to honor a slain Abe Lincoln)

      *     *     *     *

      He was a simple man.
      He was a giant among men.

      The Man Who Introduced the Word "VEGAN" to Americans

      In 2000, I was asked by his widow, Freya Dinshah,
      to deliver a eulogy to honor her husband, Jay.
      Today, Freya runs the American Vegan Society.

      Fourteen years after that, I was asked by Jay Dinshah's
      daughter Anne to write my recollections of her father
      which she included with other personal anecdotes from
      many dozens of men and women who continue to make a
      difference in this movement of ours which Jay began.

      To read each of the tributes to the founding father of
      America's Vegan movement is to understand how the Vegan
      movement began, where it is now, and where it is going.
      I find Anne Dinshah's presentation of her father's work
      fascinating. Each writer's work appears in chronological
      order; when each author was first touched and inspired
      by the man. I appreciate what Jay Dinshah accomplished,
      and recognize his impressive and inspirational legacy.

      The earliest memory of Jay comes from Zinnia Konviser, a
      lifetime vegetarian born in 1932. She recalls a Thanksgiving,
      1950 dinner of the New York Vegetarian Society in which an
      eighteen-year-old Jay Dinshah made a presentation. Zinnia's
      family ran a vegetarian hotel resort in the Catskill mountains
      for 67 years. The Vegetarian Hotel contained more than 100
      rooms on more than 100 acres. See:

      https://greendoormag.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/20130730-220036.jpg?w=690

      The final tribute in relative time comes from Eric Nyman,
      another lifetime vegetarian who became Vegan in 2009 after
      reading one of Jay Dinshah's books, Out of the Jungle. In
      between the first and final anecdotal recollection, you will
      recognize noted philosophers and doctors, movers and shakers,
      and experience warmth as each recalls a personal memory of Jay.

      To buy Anne's book, "Powerful Vegan Messages" from AMAZON:

      http://tinyurl.com/mzjffxh

      or:

      http://americanvegan.org/PVM.html

      (American Vegan Society - Call:  1-856-694-2887)

      "How small the cosmos (a kangaroo's pouch would hold it), how
      paltry and puny in comparison to human consciousness, to a
      single individual recollection, and its expression in words!"
      - Vladimir Nabokov, Speak, Memory

      ***Copy & Post Column to Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites***
      https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NotMilk/conversations/messages/5073

      NotMilk (the real) (therealNotMilk) on Twitter