Cancer Prevention Becomes AntiOxi-Dented

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2014

      "All I can do is put on my armor and brace for the arrows."
      - Jamie Kennedy

      *     *     *     *

      Today, science presents to the world a chink in our
      collective/protective paper-thin supplement armor.

      Antioxidant supplements were once hailed to be magic
      chemical armor used to protect 21st century knights
      of the physically-sound table, just as thick coats of
      shining plate metal once protected Arthur's Knights
      of the Round Table as they jousted in contests and
      rescued distressed damsels from dragons and demons.

      The July 10, 2014 issue of the New England Journal
      of Medicine (NEJM) contains disappointing news for
      cancer patients who hoped that taking antioxidants
      in supplement form would improve their health outlook.

      This week, Dr. Navseek Chandel shocked the medical
      community by writing:

      "It has been proposed that reactive oxygen species (ROS)
      cause mutations, and thus cancer, and that antioxidants
      counter this effect, but studies suggest that antioxidants
      do not prevent cancer and may accelerate it."

      Dr. Chandel's work is based upon the "Alpha-Tocopherol,
      Beta-Carotene Cancer Prevention (ATBC) Trial".

      From 1985 through 2003, long term effects from taking
      vitamin supplements were studied in a group of 29,133
      male smokers. Researchers determined:

      "Men who took beta-carotene had an 18 percent increased
      incidence of lung cancers and an 8 percent increased overall
      mortality."

      Chandel reports in this week's NEJM:

      "Dietary antioxidants have consistently failed to reduce
      the incidence of carcinoma in prospective human clinical
      trials...Rather, some studies have even suggested a harmful
      effect of antioxidants in persons at risk for cancer."

      "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."
      - Confucius

      ***Copy & Post Column to Facebook & Other Social Networking Sites***
      https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NotMilk/conversations/messages/5067