A Land Devoid of Milk & Honey

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2014

      "Being vegan is a glorious adventure. It touches
      every aspect of my life - my relationships, how
      I relate to the world."
      - Victoria Moran (Main Street Vegan)

      *     *     *     *

      Fifteen years ago, after first having completely
      abstained from cheese, ice cream and pizza for 24
      months, I made the decision, to discontinue eating
      meat, chicken, and fish.

      In my own mind, I became a vegan, although I admit
      to having not been a "strict" vegan. I innocently
      ate cookies or bagels and muffins made with eggs, or
      enjoyed a slice of toast in a diner that might have
      been baked with traces of milk powder. I probably
      also ate some products containing milk chocolate,
      never asking the server whether the icing or filling
      was of the dairy variety.

      These days in 2014, I carefully read labels. I educate
      myself about product ingredients. I do not eat the
      muffins that I know contain eggs. I do not eat the
      Middle Eastern halvah treats that I know contain honey.

      Is honey vegan?

      I am often asked this question, and respond
      by offering a brief explanation about how bees
      are abused by being fed sugar water before their own
      honey is taken for human sweet teeth. I suppose
      that the harvesting of their honey weakens bee's
      immune systems, making them susceptible to hive
      syndromes which have had a devastating effect on
      bee populations.

      Finally, I offer an alternative. I have found that
      syrup from maple trees and agave cactus are great
      substitutes. I use maple syrup in my tea with lemon,
      and agave in various baking recipes.

      "It simply feels right to me to blend the glittery
      delights of New York City with a largely raw vegan
      diet - with the soul-deep conviction that animals
      are not ours to eat, wear, exploit or experiment on."
      - Victoria Moran