Comparing Apples to Chickens

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2014

      "Apples and oranges aren't that different really.
      I mean they're both fruit. Their weight is extremely
      similar. They both contain acidic elements. They're
      both roughly spherical. They serve the same social
      purpose. With the possible exception of a tangerine
      I can't think of anything more similar to an orange
      than an apple.

      "If I was having lunch with a man who was eating an
      apple and-while I was looking away-he replaced that
      apple with an orange I doubt I'd even notice. So how
      is this a metaphor for difference? I could understand
      if you said 'That's like comparing apples and uranium'
      or 'That's like comparing apples with baby wolverines'
      or 'That's like comparing apples with the early work
      of Raymond Carver' or 'That's like comparing apples
      with hermaphroditic ground sloths.' Those would all
      be valid examples of profound disparity."
      - Chuck Klosterman (Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs)

      *     *     *     *

      I have often compared apples to oranges, or apples to
      chicken. Chicken contains a relatively high amount of
      methionine when compared to other foods. Methionine is
      an amino acid containing sulfur as its center atom.

      Methionine combines with cysteine (a second sulfur-based
      amino acid) and converts to homocysteine in the human body.

      Homocysteine has been called a key factor in the etiology
      of heart disease by many heart scientists, including
      William Castelli, the lead researcher of the Framingham
      heart study, which is the longest ongoing heart study in
      American history. Similar observations regarding methionine
      and homocysteine have been applied to bone disease. The
      sulfur in chicken creates an acid condition in human blood.
      The acid must be neutralized and it is as the body draws
      calcium from its own bones in order to do so.

      Chicken is delicious. You'll get no debate from me regarding that
      matter. Perhaps what gives chicken so much incredible flavor is
      the presence of this sulfur-containing amino acids in chicken
      protein. It may taste good coming into the mouth, but it creates
      horrible odors within the body and on the way out. I can smell
      the sulfur on the breath of a chicken eater. Vegans can detect
      the offensive odor as we get close to chicken eaters. Chicken
      is harmful to human health. Eating chicken shows no compassion
      to the life of a bird, and even less compassion to one's body.

      After researching the level of methionine in 100-gram portions
      of various foods, I am even more convinced of the damage chicken
      causes. Here are the results for 100-gram portions (3-1/2 ounces)
      of apples and chicken.

      One portion of apple contains 0.001 gms. of methionine.
      One portion of chicken contains 0.855 gms. of methionine.

      Would you prefer to have the essence of rotten sulfur
      coursing through your blood and distributed to every cell
      of your body? One bite of chicken contains 855 times the
      amount of methionine as an equivalent bite of apple.
      Given the facts, would you elect to fuel the engine of
      your motor vehicle with a comparatively filthy and
      polluting fuel as that which you fuel your own body?

      Consider: How many times have you heard:
      "A piece of KFC a-day keeps the doctor away."

      Compare Various 3-ounce portions of Foods:

      Apples contain 0.001 grams of methionine.
      Pineapple contains 0.012 grams of methionine.
      Cabbage contains 0.014 grams of methionine.
      Soft silken tofu contains 0.074 grams of methionine.
      Hard boiled eggs contain 0.392 grams of methionine.
      Cheddar cheese contains 0.652 grams of methionine.
      Parmesan cheese contains 0.958 grams of methionine.

      Three additional factors chicken and apples do not share
      (according to USDA's Nutrient Data Lab):

      100-Gram portions:

      Chicken contains 0 gms. of fiber, 76 mgs. of cholesterol,
      and 12 gms. of fat (3.7 gms. of saturated fat).

      Apple contains 2.4 gms. of fiber, 0 mgs. of cholesterol,
      and 0.86 gms. of fat (0.28 gms. of saturated fat).

      Physically and spiritually, are you the rotten-smelling
      rancid cheese-headed chicken eater, or perhaps, are you
      the essence of fresh-pressed cider from fragrant apples?

      Don't be a wine-sap by continuing to eat animal protein.
      Give up the chicken and you'll become golden delicious!

      "A human can be healthy without killing animals for food.
      Therefore if he eats meat he participates in taking animal
      life merely for the sake of his appetite."
      - Leo Tolstoy