Propjetic Advisory

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2014

      "I stand here before you not as a prophet,
      but as a humble servant of you, the people."
      - Nelson Mandela

      *     *     *     *

      Ellen G. White's 19th Century Milk Advice

      Who is Ellen G. White? She represents many things
      to many people, and she is the most translated
      author in the history of American literature.

      She was also America's first Notmilkwoman. Sadly, I have

      attended many potluck dinners with people who continue to

      adore White's prophecies while ignoring her Notmilk advice.

      The same can be said about some of my friends and family.

      Some practice good health, and will continue the Notmilk

      legacy. Others, sadly, live by the Standard American Diet

      sword, while others have died by that same sword.

      In 1890, my grandmother was born in a small town in
      Russia, near the Polish border. During that same year,
      most of her family escaped the deadly pogroms which
      killed my great-great grandfather, and emigrated to
      the
      United States to operate a dairy farm and raise
      cattle for slaughter. Their farm was in Stillwell Corners,

      New Jersey. It was called the Greenberg Farm. It
      remained a family farm until the middle of the 20th
      century. My mom told me that they milked 14 cows. As
      a little girl, she also remembered feeding the chickens
      with homegrown corn and digging potatoes. At about the
      same time my great-grandma was milking cows and churning
      butter, Ellen G. White wrote:

      "Butter and meat stimulate. These have injured the stomach
      and perverted the taste." (Counsels on Diets and Foods,
      Page 48, written in 1870)

      During her 70 years of writing, White produced 50,000 pages
      of manuscript which have been translated into 140 different
      languages. White was one of the spiritual founders and
      architects of the
      Seventh Day Adventist Church which today
      includes over 20 million members.

      Seventh Day Adventists believe that Ellen White's writings
      are just one level below that of scripture. They have inspired
      a religion, and continue to inspire me. One of White's greatest
      works is her "Counsels On Diet and Food," edited and first
      published in 1938.

      White makes a most convincing argument that we become what
      we eat. Her book includes five hundred+ pages of witticisms
      and intellectual arguments regarding diet.

      I take this opportunity to share some of my favorite passages
      from White's book, Counsels on Diets and Foods:

      "Animals from which milk is obtained are not always healthy.
      They may be diseased. A cow may be apparently well in the
      morning, and die before night. Then she was diseased in the
      morning, and her milk was diseased, but you did not know it."
      (Page 356, written in 1870)

      "Many a mother sets a table that is a snare to her family.
      Flesh meats, butter, cheese, rich pastry, spiced foods,
      and condiments are freely partaken of by both young and old.
      These things do their work in deranging the stomach, exciting
      the nerves, and enfeebling the intellect." (Page 237, written
      in 1890)

      "Grains, fruits, nuts, and vegetables constitute the diet
      chosen for us by our Creator. These foods prepared for us
      in as simple and natural a manner as possible, are the
      most healthful and nourishing." (Page 310, written
      in 1905)

      "Children are allowed to eat...cheese...Parents do not
      realize that they are sowing the seed which will bring
      forth disease and death." (Page 350, written in 1873)

      "Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach."
      (Page 368, written in 1868)

      White's dietary philosophy can be summed up by
      these words of wisdom:

      "Let it ever be kept before the mind that the great
      object of hygienic reform is to secure the highest
      possible development of mind and soul and body."
      (Page 23, written in 1890)

      The last memory I have of my grandmother is of her
      resting in a hospital bed, groaning, painfully dying
      of a cancer that had spread from her pancreas to other
      internal organs. The cancer was eating her body from
      within. I was only 15-years-old, and cannot swear that
      she was a big-time dairy user. I do remember her last
      meal, though. She begged me for ice cream. I walked
      from the hospital, which was located in the
      South
      Bronx
      , to a small store and fulfilled her last request.
      She was in such pain. Before leaving her room, I talked
      with the attending physician. I let him know, even at
      15, that our family believed in euthanasia, and that
      as she was suffering so, our wish would be for her to
      have her endure no more pain. She died a few hours after
      I left. I will never know if her death was physician-assisted.
      I like to think that it was.

      My younger sister died yesterday afternoon. She was 60 years

      old. Two months ago, Cindy's breast cancer spread to her brain,

      and that's all she wrote.

      "No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a

      loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply."

       - Billy Graham