Unrelenting Ridicule

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28 2:29 AM

      "Ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool."
      - Charles Simmons

      *     *     *     *

      For Notmilk's supplement position, I have received
      unrelenting ridicule from those who sell, prescribe,
      or believe that a plant-based diet does not supply
      all of an individual's nutritional needs.

      I have written and lectured over and over again
      during the past 12 years about the nature of
      Vitamin D supplementation. Not only do Vitamin D
      supplements not perform the numerous miracles
      manufacturers represent, but they can be dangerous.

      Who's counting? Me! I checked the Notmilk column
      archive and have advised Notmilk readers to reject
      such supplements on 290 different occasions.

      Am I in the minority? I might have been outnumbered
      10,000 to one on this subject, but when the majority
      is ignorant, democratic voting should not influence
      health decisions, particularly when Notmilk has
      provided so many supporting scientific conclusions
      from peer-reviewed journals to confirm that Vitamin-D
      supplementation is bad for one's health.

      Some ignorant people continue to take Vitamin D supplements
      every day to stay young. My response to that is: Nonsense!
      Some people take Vitamin D to prevent every disease under
      the sun according to pill-dispensing American doctors.

      The January 24, 2014 edition of the journal Lancet Diabetes
      & Endocrinology reviews the effect of Vitamin D supplementation
      on skeletal, vascular, and cancer outcomes.

      After analyzing clinical trials from hundreds of thousands
      of patients, Drs. Mark Bolland and Andrew Grey conclude:

      "The effect estimate for vitamin D supplementation with
      or without calcium for myocardial infarction or ischaemic
      heart disease (nine trials, 48,647 patients), stroke or
      cerebrovascular disease (eight trials 46,431 patients),
      cancer (seven trials, 48,167 patients), and total fracture
      (22 trials, 76,497 patients) lay within the futility
      boundary, indicating that vitamin D supplementation does
      not alter the relative risk of any of these endpoints by
      15% or more. Vitamin D supplementation alone did not reduce
      hip fracture by 15% or more (12 trials, 27,834 patients).
      Vitamin D co-administered with calcium reduced hip fracture
      in institutionalized individuals (two trials, 3853 patients)
      but did not alter the relative risk of hip fracture by 15%
      or more in community-dwelling individuals (seven trials,
      46,237 patients). There is uncertainty as to whether vitamin
      D with or without calcium reduces the risk of death (38 trials,
      81,173). Our findings suggest that vitamin D supplementation
      with or without calcium does not reduce skeletal or non-skeletal
      outcomes in unselected community-dwelling individuals by more
      than 15%. Future trials with similar designs are unlikely to
      alter these conclusions."

      I will happily accept all of the ridicule from self-professed
      milk ex-spurts or supplement snake-oil salesmen in order to
      help just one man or woman discover health.

      "Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities."
      - Oscar Wilde