- CHEESEHEADS: BETTER RED THAN DEAD?

  • David Rietz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19 8:29 AM
      REST IN PEAS

      Wisconsin's cheeseheads will be red with rage after
      they read this column. The news here will mean the
      economic deaths of many small dairy farms and
      cheesemakers. Perhaps they can convert their dairy
      operations to veggie farms. I'll be the first to buy
      their organic peas.

      NEW CHEESE PATENT

      I've just examined a new patent for a cheese making
      process that is certain to put a lot of American dairy
      farmers out of business. The New Zealand Milk Products
      (North America) Company, a California corporation, was
      issued US patent 6177118 for 'Methods for producing
      cheese and cheese products.' The process is claimed to
      simplify and quicken cheese making.

      This company has learned how to reinstate protein
      powder (casein) with artificial ingredients to produce
      the proper flavor and fat content associated with
      common cheeses.

      Here are some of the claims contained within their
      patent. If you are a traditional cheesehead from
      Wisconsin, this will send you packing to Green Bay.

      THE CLAIMS:

      "The product flavor, body, and texture and the ability
      to grate, melt, and stretch when melted matched or
      exceeded the typical commercial specifications for
      Mozzarella cheese."

      "Experienced graders determined that the product
      flavor, body, and texture met the specifications for
      commercial Ricotta."

      "Experienced graders determined that the product
      flavor, body, and texture met the specifications for
      commercial cream cheese."

      "Experienced graders determined that the flavor, body,
      and texture of finished cheese equaled or exceeded the
      specifications outlined by Zehren and Nusbaum for
      commercially prepared individually wrapped process
      American cheese food."

      No longer will American be buying real cheese. The
      cheese whizzes of America have allowed themselves to be
      overtaken by a technology that betrays dairy farmers.
      Foreign protein can be processed and purchased for
      considerably less money that is possible for America's
      farmers to produce and make a profit.

      Do I like this idea? Damned right I do. Take the
      virus, pus, bacteria, and growth hormones out of
      cheese, and we're halfway home. Now, this company
      should develop a patent that removes the allergenic
      proteins, fat, cholesterol, and dioxins.

      Do that, and I'll endorse it!