-CHOCOLATE SMUDGE

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      It's panic time in dairy land!

      On Wednesday, February 7th, I wrote a column about
      Hershey's chocolate milk.

      Morningstar Foods, the nationwide distributor of Hershey's
      chocolate milk, had posted a February press release on PR
      NEWSWIRE containing this promo:

      "Hershey's milk is a delicious and a healthy way to
      start off the New Year with heart-healthy benefits..."

      I wrote to Bing Graffunder, president and chief operating officer
      of Morningstar Foods and asked:

      "One quart of whole-milk chocolate milk contains 122 mg
      of cholesterol. There are three milligrams of cholesterol in a
      medium slice of Armour bacon. Therefore, one quart of chocolate
      milk contains the same cholesterol as nearly 41 slices of bacon.
      Since fat free chocolate milk is a healthy way to start off the new
      year, may one assume that regular chocolate milk is not a healthy
      way to start off the new year?"

      On Thursday, February 15th, I reported:

      Independent taste tests conducted by Good
      Housekeeping Magazine offered consumers
      blind tasting of both chocolate-flavored SILK brand
      soy milk and Hershey's chocolate milk. Everybody
      who tasted preferred the chocolate Silk, according
      to Vicky Melen (612-375-8541).

      PANIC TIME AT HERSHEY'S AND MORNINGSTAR

      Bing never answered my letter. However, his actions
      spoke louder than words. The day after news of my
      taste-test column appeared, Hershey's and Morningstar
      announced:

      "Ward Burton Fuels Up with Hershey's Milk"

      "Feb. 16, 2001--Morningstar Foods Inc. today
      announced an endorsement contract with NASCAR
      racing star Ward Burton, waving the green flag to
      promote its new line of Hershey's Milk products
      during the Winston Cup season."

      I don't care how fast those NASCAR race cars are.
      The HERSHEY chocolateers can fudge around as
      much as they want, but that Hershey car just doesn't have
      the power to catch up with the SILK entry. Consumers
      have spoken, and every single one preferred SILK over
      HERSHEY's in a taste test.

      SILK got the checkered flag, while HERSHEY's never
      made it to the finish line.