-LINDA IS DESPERATE

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2001
      Linda is badly in need of your help.

      You could write to USDA or ask organizations like the
      Physician's Committee (PCRM) for responsible medicine
      and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) to
      help. Contacts are provided at the end of this column.

      Here is Linda's story, in her own words:

      Dear Friends,

      I am in the process of getting my Child Care Provider
      License. I am having trouble in that I am not being
      ALLOWED to serve soy milk as a substitute for
      Dairy milk in the home daycare I am opening.

      I think I found a temporary way around the state licensing
      regulation...But I still face an issue which I am going
      to take on. I am enrolling in a food program which
      reimburses me for providing nutritional meals to the
      children under my care. The USDA supports these child
      food programs (called USDA Child and Adult Care
      Food Program) and they fall under the same category as
      the school lunch programs. In order to be able to serve
      Soy milk and be reimbursed on the program I must have
      each parent bring a statement from their doctor (I have been
      provided with a form) which states that their child is allergic
      to dairy and so I must provide a substitute. The regulations
      should NOT care whether It is a DAIRY or SOY
      product I am using as long as the NUTRITION is at LEAST
      equal. This is really a case of DISCRIMINATION and I do
      not want to have to ask people to LIE. They allow meat
      substitutes without a signed statement that one is allergic to
      meat... I was even told that the actual law states that only
      Seventh Day Adventist can use meat substitutes, only it is an
      old regulation and isn't enforced because that would be
      discrimination. and I say...DUH! Like this isn't?

      I can not see how telling someone they can not use a dairy
      substitute is any different then telling them they can not use a meat
      substitute.

      The food program rep was at my house today for a couple
      hours and she supports me in wanting to serve vegan meals.
      Still her hands are tied until the regulation is changed. No one
      has apparently spoken out or tried to change these regulations.
      I have decided to take them on... And I would appreciate any
      help from any of you. If you would help me in this effort please
      write to the USDA and voice your outrage at this blatant
      discrimination against vegans.

      My food program Rep said she thought the place to start is
      with the USDA. The Soy Milk I want to use is of course
      pasteurized and fortified so that it is equal (actually superior)
      to whole milk. She agreed with me in that this regulation most
      likely was set due to the claws of the dairy industry wanting
      to insure there hold on consumers and government programs.
      I think that a discrimination claim is the route to take at this
      point.

      I THANK YOU with my whole heart in advance for stepping forth
      and trying to help me get these regulations changed.
      Linda S.

      P.S. PLEASE also post this call to action on any other board
      or group that you know of that would be willing to help me as well.

      ASK THESE TWO ORGANIZATIONS TO HELP
      PUBLICIZE LINDA'S MISSION:

      PCRM http://www.pcrm.org

      PCRM pcrm@...