-BEHOLD THE POWER OF CHEESY MARKETING

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2001
      Dear Friends,

      Yesterday (February 14, 2001), the Cincinnati Post fed
      its readers the following slice of dairy industry propaganda:
      "Choose Milk

      Everyone knows today's kids are fatter than they used
      to be, and one of the big culprits is soft drinks. The
      average teen-ager drinks 868 cans of soda a year,
      according to the American Dairy Association and Dairy
      Council Mid East. That represents a bunch of empty
      calories - about 122,000 - and no small chunk of change
      ($434 at 50 cents a pop).

      Meanwhile, milk consumption has dropped precipitously - 23%
      between 1970 and 1997 - at a time when teens are in critical
      bone building years. Only 21 percent of Ohio high school
      students drink three or more glasses of milk each day.

      Kids can drink milk and stay slim; an 8-ounce glass of fat-free
      skim milk contains only 80 calories."
      Do these same kids go to Dominos Pizza and order the
      low-fat skim milk pizza? Do they get the 1% milkshake
      from Dairy Queen? Do they request the no-fat cheese on
      their Big Macs?

      The dairy industry geniuses compare 1970 to 1997.
      Soda consumption has actually decreased. Consumers
      are drinking more bottled water, iced teas, and juices.
      Their "empty" 122,000 calories add up to just 334
      calories per day. Kids normally eat over 2000 calories
      per day, and that is metabolized. What CHANGE have
      we witnessed in our S.A.D. diets (Standard American
      Diets) between 1970 and the year 2001?

      Before I reveal that which the dairy industry wishes
      to remain secret, I want you to imagine ten pounds
      of saturated fat on the belly of an obese child.
      Picture something the size of a watermelon---ten
      pounds of greasy yellow high caloric fat. That's the
      equivalent amount of fat consumed by the average
      American each year from just cheese. This does not
      factor in the dangerous heart-unhealthy saturated fat
      from ice cream, butter, or liquid milk.

      There is no saturated fat in soda. There's not a
      bit of fat at all in a can of Coke.

      In 1970, the average American consumed ten
      pounds of cheese. Today, the average
      American consumes thirty pounds of cheese.
      Twenty more pounds.

      One pound of Wisconsin's finest cheddar
      contains 1824 calories, and 115 grams of
      fat. Ten pounds of cheese contains 1150
      grams of fat, or 3.15 pounds, a greasy-blob
      of fat globules the size of one large honeydew
      or two small cantaloupes. That represents
      America's 1970 consumption. You can more
      than triple that for today.

      We had no obesity epidemic in 1970 when children
      were consuming less soda than they now do. One
      factor in our diets has increased dramatically, and that
      is cheese consumption.

      Our children have changed. They come into maturity
      much earlier, and they exhibit a violence that
      today's adults cannot understand. Every sip of milk
      contains naturally occurring hormones. Cows
      secrete estrogen and progesterone into their milk.
      Steroid hormones and androgens that affect our
      children's behaviors. Sexual hormones that affect
      their bodies.

      The dairy industry would have you believe that
      soda is to blame. They market their high calorie
      fat-saturated hormone-filled product by asking
      you to "Behold the Power of Cheese." Indeed!

      Ask the Cincy Post editor to behold cheese's
      power too. His name is Keith Herrell and his
      EMAIL address is:

      kherrell@...