Live Like a Silly Goose; Die Like a Silly Goose

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2013
      "While I thought that I was learning how
      to live, I have been learning how to die."
      - Leonardo da Vinci

      Live Like a Silly Goose; Die Like a Silly Goose

      The above should be inscribed upon the dead
      man's tombstone as testimony to a demise that
      should have been prevented by good sense.

      Each morning, I drive down route 17 South to
      work out at my 24-hour gym, and pass the
      Satin Dolls topless bar, otherwise known as
      The Bada Bing of Sopranos television fame.
      I loved that show and never missed an episode.
      Everybody's favorite, and mine too was Tony
      Soprano played by James Gandolfini.

      Two days ago, at the ripe young age of 51,
      Gandolfini died from a massive heart attack
      after eating dinner with his 13-year-old
      son in Italy.

      I just learned the contents of his meal.
      Besides the four shots of rum, two beers, and two
      pina coladas made with sweetened coconut fat,
      Gandolfini ate two orders of giant deep-fried
      shrimp for his entrée, and two orders of pate
      foie gras for his appetizer.

      In order to manufacture foie gras (liver terrine),
      geese are force-fed and as a result, grow fatty and
      diseased livers. When humans eat these damaged
      goose livers, they deliver massive amounts of
      diseased fatty tissues to their own cardiovascular
      systems.

      When I attended America's premiere cooking school
      in 1976, the Culinary Institute of America (C.I.A.) in
      Hyde Park, New York, we made our pate foie gras with
      finely-minced fresh truffles. The one ingredient that
      we students regretted not having was the specially
      developed fatty livers removed from force-fed geese.

      What we were not taught at the C.I.A. was how abusive
      was the process of force-feeding geese until they choked
      to near death, struggling to swallow those foods crammed
      down their throats into their stomachs by gavage.

      Livers from such geese grow to five or more times their
      normal size and by the time these organs end up in
      restaurant prep kitchens, they are in reality diseased
      innards from extremely abused birds living lives of pain.

      Many gourmets or gourmands love and crave the resulting
      foie gras, a result of force-feeding the birds about 2-3
      weeks before they are slaughtered. These force-fed geese
      have a mixture of ground corn and fat stuffed into them,
      a process which sometimes kills the birds. Their throats
      become scratched and mutilated during the feedings, exposing
      the animals to extreme discomfort. Three times each day in
      the weeks before death, a goose farm employee takes a
      long metal tube and forces it all the way down the goose's
      throat. In that manner, up to two pounds of the feeding
      formula at a shot are pumped into the bird's belly.

      The relative volume of each meal is astonishing. If humans
      were compared to geese, assuming fatty and diseased human
      livers are equally prized by alien hunters from faraway
      planets, each meal fed to a human donor before slaughter
      would equal about thirty pounds of ground fat and corn mush.

      Force feeding any living creature results in extreme pain
      and post-feeding suffering. There continues a great
      controversy regarding the feeding of such sentient
      creatures in this manner. Some gastronomes claim that
      such a feeding method can be administered compassionately.

      In order to make an informed and impartial decision, I once
      witnessed the process at a New York state goose farm and I
      was sickened by it. At the time, I was neither vegetarian
      nor vegan, but I believed that I could discriminate between
      right and wrong. This was clearly not right by a long shot.

      Ironically, a recurring theme on the Sopranos revolved
      around a duck which would visit the mafia head's home,
      bathing in his swimming pool. The repeated incidents
      were so disturbing to Tony Soprano that they became
      the subject of multiple therapy sessions.

      Even more ironic is the fact that only hours before
      Gandolfini's fatal heart attack (June 18th, 2013),
      Mercy For Animals released undercover footage of
      a New York State foie gras factory. See the video:

      http://www.amazoncruelty.com

      Of even greater irony is the fact that Gandolfini's final
      role (which will be seen on the big screen next year)
      is that of an animal rescue activist.

      "We don't get angry. We get even."
      - The Cooked Goose (and other abused animals who get
      eaten and then deliver the revenge of heart disease
      and cancer in return to the human pig).

      "Thinking to get at once all the gold that the goose could
      give, he killed it, and opened it only to find - nothing."
      - Aesop