-CHOCK FULL OF HEALTHY MILK CHOCOLATE

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2001
      Morningstar Foods, the nationwide distributor of Hershey's
      chocolate milk, posted a February press release on PR
      NEWSWIRE containing this headline:

      "Looking for a healthy start to the New Year?
      Try Hershey's fat free chocolate milk"

      The promo reveals:

      "Hershey's milk is a delicious and a healthy way to
      start off the New Year with heart-healthy benefits..."

      Just for the record:

      1 quart of whole milk contains 20.3 gms of saturated fat
      and 132.7 mg of cholesterol.

      1 quart of chocolate milk (made from whole milk) contains
      21 gms of saturated fat and 122 mg of cholesterol.

      There are three milligrams of cholesterol in a medium slice
      of Armour bacon. Therefore, one quart of chocolate milk
      contains the same cholesterol as 41 slices of bacon.

      I tried to call Bing Graffunder, president and chief operating officer
      of Morningstar Foods. Morningstar Foods Inc. is a subsidiary
      of Suiza, America's leading dairy processor and distributor.
      Graffunder began his career in 1970 with the Sealtest Ice
      Cream company. He moved on to become Vice President
      of Operations of Dairymen, a dairy co-op.

      I wanted to zing Bing with some questions, but alas, Bing would
      not sing. His press release got the best of my curiosity. Do you
      imagine that Bing will respond to my EMAIL? I sent this letter
      to him through his secretary, Connie Metcalf (great name for
      the secretry of a dairy industry CEO). cmetcalf@...

      Dear Mr. Graffunder,

      Morningstar Foods posted a press release on PR
      NEWSWIRE containing this information:

      "Looking for a healthy start to the New Year?
      Try Hershey's fat free chocolate milk"

      Your press release claims:

      "Hershey's milk is a delicious and a healthy way to
      start off the New Year with heart-healthy benefits..."

      One quart of whole-milk chocolate milk contains 122 mg
      of cholesterol. There are three milligrams of cholesterol in a
      medium slice of Armour bacon. Therefore, one quart of chocolate
      milk contains the same cholesterol as nearly 41 slices of bacon.

      Since fat free chocolate milk is a healthy way to start off the new
      year, may one assume that regular chocolate milk is not a healthy
      way to start off the new year?