Why? This is Why!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2013
      Why? This is Why!

      "In art, the hand can never execute anything
      higher than the heart can imagine."
      - Ralph Waldo Emerson

      * * * * *

      A flower will push through a crack in the sidewalk
      in order to feel the sun. A penguin will march thousands
      of miles for food in order to feed her babies. The
      thunderous roar of a lion protects his family from
      danger near and far. Whether it has gills, wings,
      whiskers, or roots, every living being shares the
      will to live and grow. That's why we don't eat animals.

      * * * * *

      The above paragraph was written by Ruby Roth and are the
      opening words of her new book, "That's Why We Don't
      Eat Animals."

      The book was written for children, and the illustrations
      are magically unique. You can see examples of them by

      The exceptional illustrations of dog and cat and
      outstretched cat's paws are more whimsical than any
      done by Walt Disney illustrators. The first page made
      me smile with the happiness of a six-year-innocent,
      for whom this book was intended.

      I ask myself while reading the book, was this done
      for a child, or for an adult child like myself? It is
      a book for mother and son, father and daughter, teacher
      and student to marvel at together. It is a great book
      for great grandmothers to connect multiple
      generations with peace and healing. It is a book for
      a grandfather to show just how in touch with things
      he really is. We Don't Eat Animals is more than
      a book. It is a movement. It is an extension of
      where the sidewalk ends, and a positive substitute
      for saying goodnight to the moon.

      Can the drawings get better than these?

      I answer my question by turning the page and laugh
      aloud at the pigs and cows, turkeys and geese, farmed
      animals whose spirits are eloquently expressed so as
      to make them impossible to be eaten; creatures worthy
      of human reverence.

      The caged ducks and chickens and pigs; the insects
      and monkeys and fields of vegetables and fruit; all
      of these living systems are illustrated so whimsically
      that words become unnecessary for a child. We experience
      through Ruby Roth's creativity that each young and old
      reader is part of the dynamic creation which we call
      planet earth.

      Purchased an autographed copy directly from Ruby:

      "The purpose of art is washing the
      dust of daily life off our souls."
      - Pablo Picasso