269 Life

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013
      269 Life

      "The medium is the message."
      - Marshall McLuhan

      A few weeks ago while working out on a stationary
      bike at 3AM in my 24-hour gym, I noticed the
      brightly colored tattoo on the upper left arm of
      a young woman who was sweating profusely while
      doing her own workout on an elliptical machine.

      I now regret not approaching her to ask the meaning
      of that tattoo.

      A few days ago, I received an email message from an
      Australian frend which read:

      "We had our 269life tattoos put upon ourselves
      yesterday - they are all 269."

      I immediately recalled the gym memory of where
      I first saw that same message.

      I then went to the World Wide Web to search the
      meaning of '269 Life'.

      I crash landed at this website:

      http://www.269life.com

      I was soon directed to this Israeli video:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4q1pU957c

      * * *

      Many historians believe that Harriet Beecher Stowe's
      "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was the book that began America's
      Civil War. Upon welcoming Stowe to the White House
      shortly after having delivered his 'soon to be
      forgotten' Pennsylvania address, Lincoln said, "So
      you're the little woman who wrote the book that made
      this great war."

      I believe (having lived during the before and after)
      that Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" was the song
      which ended the Vietnam war.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

      And now? There is a new movement: 269 LIFE.

      "If one person, just one person does it they may think
      he's really sick...And if two people, two people do it,
      in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and (if)
      three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people...
      They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you
      imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day?
      They may thinks it's a movement."
      - Arlo Guthrie