Is one Brand Better Than the Other?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2013
      Is one Brand Better Than the Other?

      "I love the smell of barbecue ribs in the morning."
      - Lieutenant-Major Kilgore, Apocalypse Cow

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Lxk8p43sA

      There are numerous body parts which human and
      non-human creatures dread having deformed or
      removed without anesthesia.

      Should a mature cow suck milk from another cow's
      udder, her tongue will be expertly sliced in half
      by a licensed veterinarian so that she never again
      will steal cow's milk from a human baby.

      Other body parts include horns, tails, and genitals.
      Is there a right way to castrate a man or a mouse or
      a bull?

      I would argue that with each species, each surgery
      becomes a means of torture. The traditional methods
      by which dairymen remove living cow's body appendages
      do not include the use of pain killers.

      There is no moral or ethical reason to ever cut away
      living tissues from any creature able to feel pain.
      Whether you believe that each sentient creature's
      body part exists because of God's plan, Mother Nature's
      plan, or Evolution's plan, it was orignially put into
      place for a darned good reason.

      Which brings me to a dairy farm editorial which
      appeared in mid-February, 2013, on dairy websites.

      TITLE: "De-horning Done Right"

      Most cows are dehorned shortly after birth.
      The torturous act of dehorning a calf without
      anesthesia or pain killers after the procedure
      is one reason children of dairymen leave home,
      never to return. At the conclusion of this
      column, you will hear a cow's cries.

      The author of the dairy editorial writes:

      "There are some jobs on the dairy that most people
      do not enjoy doing...when a job task is less than
      pleasant, it either gets delayed or it gets done poorly."

      Ouch!

      "...there have been multiple videos released by animal-rights
      activist groups that show dehorning done in a gruesome manner."

      No poop, Betty Boop!

      "These videos always shed a negative light on our industry."

      I wonder why, Guy!

      "Goals for dehorning cattle
      1) The procedure causes the least amount of pain possible to the animal.
      2) The procedure is done in a humane manner.
      3) The person doing the procedure is not harmed or put at risk of injury."

      Least amount of pain? How about zero pain?
      Humane? Oy!
      Thinking about the person not being harmed?
      They should wear suits of armor to protect
      themselves from animals reacting to violent
      and painful torture techniques.

      "The No. 1 way to accomplish the above goals is to
      perform dehorning at the earliest age possible. For
      this reason, it is highly recommended that all calves
      are dehorned/disbudded before six weeks of age."

      What a thoughtful and compassionate abuser!
      Perhaps dairymen should slice the un-muscled
      flesh from just one of each veal calf's legs at
      a very young age and permit that animal to live.

      "There are many brands of dehorners available to use
      in young calves. Typically, the heat to the unit is
      provided by either gas (butane) or electric. The
      area applied to the horn bud should be narrow. The
      wide bore dehorners burn a larger area of skin and
      cause significantly more pain and distress to the animal."

      It touches my soul to know how caring these men
      of torture can be.

      "The animal should be properly restrained to minimize
      risk of injury to the calf or the person performing
      the procedure. Shave the area over the horn bud, and
      it is typically seen as a white mark. Apply the hot
      dehorner to the area until the skin is cut and cauterized
      around the entire horn. Typically, it only takes a few
      seconds to accomplish the task."

      Which makes me wonder...did the same author have
      ancestors who wrote nineteenth century manuals on
      the proper way to brand human African slaves?
      Had his human horn buds not have been shaved, would
      Goethe have named him Mephistophiles?

      No animal will die in this video, but you probably
      will be unable to get to the second minute...

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaF1PO-Pd2g

      "Think occasionally of the suffering of which
      you spare yourself the sight."
      - Albert Schweitzer, 1952 Nobel Peace Prize winner

      The link to share today's Notmilk Column: