In Our Hearts (and Brains) We Knew This to be True

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2012
      In Our Hearts (and Brains) We Knew This to be True

      JOURNAL: Nature Medicine, August 5, 2012

      Treatment-induced damage to the tumor microenvironment
      promotes prostate cancer therapy resistance through WNT16B

      LEAD AUTHOR: Yu Sun, et. al.

      ABSTRACT:

      "Acquired resistance to anticancer treatments is a
      substantial barrier to reducing the morbidity and
      mortality that is attributable to malignant tumors.

      "Components of tissue microenvironments are recognized
      to profoundly influence cellular phenotypes, including
      susceptibilities to toxic insults.

      "Using a genome-wide analysis of transcriptional responses
      to genotoxic stress induced by cancer therapeutics, we
      identified a spectrum of secreted proteins derived from
      the tumor microenvironment that includes the Wnt family
      member wingless-type MMTV integration site family member
      16B (WNT16B).

      "The expression of WNT16B in the prostate tumor microenvironment
      attenuated the effects of cytotoxic chemotherapy in vivo,
      promoting tumor cell survival and disease progression.

      "These results delineate a mechanism by which genotoxic
      therapies given in a cyclical manner can enhance subsequent
      treatment resistance through cell nonautonomous effects that
      are contributed by the tumor microenvironment."

      * * * * *

      In other words:

      Just Say NO to Cancer treatments which include chemotherapy.
      Rather than cure, they often accelerate the growth and
      proliferation of existing cancers.

      Robert Cohen
      http:/www.notmilk.com
      http:www.Twitter.com/TheRealNotmilk