Boot Camp

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 12:02 AM
      Boot Camp

      "If you just try long enough and hard enough, you
      can always manage to boot yourself in the posterior."
      - A. J. Liebling

      Andy Pettitte is a New York Yankee pitcher who
      took a year off from playing baseball and came
      out of retirement this year, because he had to.
      A few days ago, Pettitte injured his ankle. He will
      have to wear a therapeutic boot for the next six
      weeks in order to heal his foot and pitch again.
      Pettitte is an old man at age 40; an age in which
      most baseball superstars stay retired. for now, he
      is on the 60-day disabled list.

      I have a similar boot. It is manufactured by Ovation.

      http://www.ovationmed.com/walker.php

      In late April of 2012, I injured my right ankle. An
      MRI indicated severe muscular injuries including a
      tear to my talofibular ligament.

      I was given the same rehabilitation remedy as Pettitte:
      wear a boot for the six week period after the injury.
      I imagine that Pettitte is taking his doctor's advice.

      June has ended, and I wore that boot for two full days.
      On May 5th, I had the fatherly obligation of walking
      my daughter Lizzy down the aisle as she married the love
      of her life, Justin. I figured that after the aisle walk
      and fatherly dance, how could I ignore a coming Ironman
      triathlon in which I would swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles,
      and then run a 2.2 mile marathon? On June 11th, I lectured
      to a few vegetarian groups in Hawaii, and hobbled through
      my entire eight-day trip. I did get one opportunity to
      swim a fraction of a mile on Waikiki beach in Honolulu
      thanks to a very dear friend, Patrick Moore, who paddled
      his surfboard a few yards from me.

      Three weeks from today, I am scheduled to compete in
      an Ironman Triathlon in Lake Placid, New, York. I
      should have been resting with my foot in the boot,
      but at the ripe old age of 61, I am driven.

      There is pain, but I have been getting through daily
      bike rides of 25-30 miles. I lack the strength to get
      up Adirondack mountain hills, but perhaps in these
      next three weeks, that indispensable power will return.

      I will begin with a 2.4 mile swim. I have been swimming
      one mile each day in my gym pool, and without kicking,
      will complete the Lake Placid swim. After running
      the quarter-mile transition, I will then attempt the
      112 milke bike ride. Will I succeed? Today, I do not
      know, but I will set up my bike in the transition area,
      and I will try.

      This coming Thursday, I plan a long weekend trip to
      Montauk, New York where I intend to bike 80 miles per
      day, if I can. The bike rides will be enhanced by
      swims in the Atlantic Ocean at Hither Hills campground.

      Pettite wears his boot like a 40-year-old wise man. I
      am finished with the boot and will hopefullY be able
      to work through the pain.

      In a few weeks, I will have my race number and
      you will be able to follow my July 22nd effort
      live on the Internet.

      The day before the July 22nd triathlon, I will pay
      my $800 fee to register for the 2013 event.

      "What would life be if we had no
      courage to attempt anything?"
      - Vincent van Gogh

      Robet Cohen