A Little Girl Teaches Consumers a Lesson

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2012
      A Little Girl Teaches Consumers a Lesson

      "Research is four things: brains with which
      to think, eyes with which to see, machines
      with which to measure, and fourth, money."
      - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

      A little girl has made a 2-minute youtube
      video which will change many lives.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBEFCiWyW0

      Her school science experiment is worth watching.
      It is about something I did not previously know
      existed.

      After watching the short film, I did some
      research about Bud Nip. Here is what I found.

      The major chemical ingredient in Bud Nip is
      a substance called Chlorpropham.

      According to Wikipedia:

      Chlorpropham (commercial names: Bud Nip,
      Taterpex) is a plant growth regulator and
      herbicide used as a sprout suppressant for
      grass weeds, alfalfa, lima and snap beans,
      blueberries, cane berries, carrots,
      cranberries, ladino clover, garlic, seed
      grass, onions, spinach, sugar beets, tomatoes,
      safflower, soybeans, gladioli and woody
      nursery stock. It is also used to inhibit
      potato sprouting...

      I searched Medline for information on
      chlorpropham. Most of the scientific studies
      were performed on laboratory animals. I reject
      every one of those on ethical grounds and on
      logical scientific grounds.

      Half of the cancers rats get, mice do not get.
      Half of the cancers mice get, rats do not get.
      One cannot apply a study from one rodent to
      another, and therefore, one cannot apply a
      rodent study to humans. I will not see an animal
      tortured so that illogical research Can deceive.

      I first found this study in the November, 2011
      issue of the Bulletin of Environmental Contamination
      and Toxicology. Researchers tested 228 potato
      samples sold at 34 farmers' markets and discovered
      that chlorpropham was the most frequently occurring
      pesticide detected. The authors reported:

      "No pesticide residues were detected in
      23 potato samples obtained from certified
      organic farmers."

      Virtually no studies on humans or human tissue
      samples exist, but I did find one performed
      three years ago.

      In March of 2009 the journal Environmental
      Science and Technology reported a study in
      which scientists exposed human tissue samples
      contained in glass vials to chlorpropham. In
      their abstract, the researchers reported:

      "The potential for agricultural chemicals to
      cause endocrine disruption (ED) in humans and
      wildlife is an increasing concern; however,
      the effects of commonly used pesticides at
      environmentally relevant concentrations are
      largely unknown."

      The scientists then tested various chemical
      pesticides on in-vitro (test tube) samples
      of ovarian follicles containing human chorionic
      gonadotropin (hCG) and found that chlorpropham
      stimulated hormone production. Their final
      recommendation was that "the effects of these
      compounds on humans and/or wildlife warranted
      further future investigation".

      I have found no scientific evidence of such
      research during the past three years, except
      for the minimally financed study performed by
      one little girl.