For Vegetarians Who Sometimes Eat Seafood

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 12:42 AM
      For Vegetarians Who Sometimes Eat Seafood

      Fish feel no pain.
      How can that be?
      In truth, it cannot be, yet, many
      people consume fish as an alternative to
      meat consumption, accepting that illogical
      argument.

      I do not eat seafood because of health and ethical
      reasons. If you seek more information regarding
      either factor, please visit PETA's website:

      http://www.fishinghurts.com

      The amount of information on that website will pull you
      in, hook, line, and sinker.

      I am primarily concerned with your body and your health.

      Farm-raised fish are kept in horrendous conditions. Imagine
      thousands of fish lving in a confined area in which slime and
      fish feces are continuously consumed from bodies touching bodies
      in which fish are unable to swim, for lack of room. Farm-raised
      fish suffer this way througout their confined lives. Ocean-raised
      fish swim free, but those creatures living atop their own food
      chain consume the pesticides and heavy metals (such as mercury)
      and dioxins and radioative accidents from tens of thousands of
      meals from smaller creatures which in turn have consumed
      millions of tainted and polluted diatoms.

      When you eat animal proteins, be they from fish, eggs,
      chicken, beef, pork, or dairy, they will create an
      acid condition in your blood. Imagine the essence of
      stinky rotten eggs infusing into your bloodstream.
      We cannot afford to lose bone density, but this is
      how your body compensates, by leeching calcium from
      your bones in order to neutralize the acid. Dr. William
      Castelli, lead researcher of the Framingham heart study
      (America's largest heart study) identifies homocysteine
      as the key to all heart disease.

      Animal protein contains a large amount of cysteine and
      methionine, the two amino acids which your body uses
      to manufacture homocysteine. Methionine and cysteine
      contain sulfur as their center atom.

      So, that is the primary reason I avoid seafood, even
      though I once enjoyed eating mollusks and fish. Combined
      with the way they are harvested, and the concentrated
      chemicals within their flesh, I've eliminated seafood
      from my diet.

      If you were eliminating one food group at a time,
      with the goal of eating a plant-based diet as I do,
      here is the order that I would advise seeing you
      give up food groups:

      FIRST: Eliminate all milk and dairy
      SECOND: Eliminate all poultry and eggs
      THIRD: Eliminate all seafood
      FOURTH: Eliminate all pork
      FIFTH: Eliminate all beef

      As a rule, the higher up one goes on the food chain,
      the more concentrated are the toxins, heavy metals,
      pesticides, dioxins, and PCBs in their flesh and
      body fluids. Most seafood is unlike farm-raised meats
      in that regard.

      Large fish are predatory in nature, eating thousands
      of smaller living creatures before you ultimately ingest
      their body fat and proteins. The same cannot be said for
      farm-raised animals eating a plant-based diet.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2014

        "If suffering brings wisdom, I would wish to be less wise."
        - William Butler Yeats

        *     *     *     *

        Yesterday (January 15, 2014), fishing made news on two
        fronts. First, The United States House of Representatives
        passed a Bill containing $75 million in disaster aid to
        commercial fishermen. Second, it was revealed that
        commercial fishermen have taken fish (black sea bream)
        containing deadly levels of radioactive cesium tested at
        12,400 becquerels per kilogram which is 124 times the
        safe human threshold for human consumption. The fish
        contamination resulted from the 2011 Japanese Fukushima
        power plant nuclear disaster.

        Eating fish is not healthy for the human body, but
        delivering pain to fish is not healthy for the human
        spirit, when pain and suffering is justified by so many.

        Fish feel no pain. How can that be? In truth, it cannot be,
        and yet, many people consume fish as an alternative to meat
        consumption, accepting the illogical feel-good argument
        that fish do not react in pain as sharp knives slice
        through their bodies releasing organs, and through their
        heads, delivering to a fish its final conscious experience.

        I do not eat seafood because of health and ethical reasons.
        The primary reason to consume a plant-based diet is compassion
        for your own body and your health. Farm-raised fish are kept
        in horrendous conditions. Imagine thousands of fish living
        in a confined feeding and confined defecating man-made pond
        in which slime and fish feces are continuously consumed from
        bodies touching bodies in which fish are unable to swim, for
        lack of room. Farm-raised fish suffer this way throughout
        their cramped lives.

        Ocean-raised fish swim free, but those creatures living atop
        their own food chain consume the pesticides and heavy metals
        (such as mercury) and dioxins and radioactive accidents from
        tens of thousands of meals from smaller creatures, which, in
        turn, have consumed millions of tainted and polluted diatoms.

        Typical fishermen are armed with a pole and some hooks and
        some bait and a past history and a future intention. Yet,
        little thought is given to the thousands or millions of
        injuries which occur each year from lost or discarded
        monofilament fishing line, steel-tipped lures and hooks,
        and lead weights which become swallowed up by bottom-feeding
        fish.

        Many creatures are intentionally impaled by fishing hooks.
        These bait animals include creatures able to writhe with pain
        such as tiny fish hooked through the eye socket, or frogs
        hooked through the leg and body.

        Many sports fisherman catch and release their prey, out of
        compassion, mistakenly believing that such behavior extend
        a living creature's life. In many cases, they pull out the
        animal's internal organs during the process of extracting
        a deeply embedded hook. Such do-gooders exhaust a fish
        during the hunt, and remove the protective mucus which
        covers their gills and scales. Fishing takes away from
        a sea creature's natural ability to defend itself.

        Although fish cannot talk to express their pain, nor run
        away to elude a fisherman's knife, the fish nerves and
        feelings and death are all part of an experience which
        ends their lives with extreme pain and injustice.

        "Think occasionally of the suffering of
        which you spare yourself the sight."
        - Albert Schweitzer