- - - U IS FOR UTERIANE (AND OVARIAN) CANCER

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2000
      U IS FOR UTERINE & OVARIAN CANCER

      Women between the ages of 25 and 65 have
      been successfully targeted by the marketing
      representatives of the dairy industry's milk
      promotion board. What the dairy industry
      neglects to advertise is the fact that cow's milk
      contains a very powerful growth hormone,
      insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I). IGF-I
      is identical in humans and cows, and this
      hormone has been identified as a key factor
      in tumor growth.
      _________________________________

      "The uterus and ovary, like the breast, are
      hormone-sensitive organs. Not surprisingly,
      uterine and ovarian cancers are both linked
      to fatty diets in epidemiologic studies."

      Cancer 1966;19
      _________________________________

      "IGFs may be important in carcinogenesis,
      possibly by increasing the risk of cellular
      transformation by enhancing cell turnover.
      These emerging epidemiologic data indicate
      that high levels of IGF-I are associated with
      an increased risk of at least several types of
      carcinoma that are common in economically
      developed countries."

      Horm Res, 1999, 51 Suppl 3
      _________________________________

      "Poor absorption of lactose may more than
      double the risk of ovarian cancer in women."

      American Journal of Epidemiology, 1999;150
      _________________________________

      "IGFs regulate important cellular activities
      involving cell proliferation, differentiation,
      and apoptosis. Emerging evidence suggests
      that members of the IGF family play
      important roles in the development and
      progression of cancer. Diet, nutrition, and
      other lifestyle features affect the expression
      and production of IGF-1 and other members
      of the IGF family. This may provide new
      approaches for cancer prevention. Growth
      hormone (GH) stimulates the production of
      IGF-1. Use of GH replacement therapy to
      improve physiological and psychological
      well-being and to prevent aging-related
      diseases has been recommended. Given the
      close relationship between GH and IGF-1,
      the long-term safety of GH treatment
      warrants a serious concern."

      J La State Med Soc, 1999 Apr, 151:4
      _________________________________

      "Galactose is linked both to ovarian cancer and
      infertility...women who consume dairy products
      on a regular basis, have triple the risk of ovarian
      cancer than other women."

      The Lancet 1989; 2
      __________________________________

      "Interest in the role of the IGF axis in growth
      control and carcinogenesis has recently been
      increased by the finding of elevated serum
      (IGF-I) levels in association with three of the
      most prevalent cancers in the United States:
      prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, and lung
      cancer. IGFs serve as endocrine, autocrine,
      and paracrine stimulators of mitogenesis,
      survival, and cellular transformation."

      J Cell Physiol, 2000 Apr, 183:1

      "IGF-I reacts in a synergistic manner with
      estrogen, and plays a role in the growth
      and proliferation of ovarian cancer."

      J-Clin-Endocrinol-Metab, Feb. 1994, 78(2)