Strange But True

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 2:24 AM
      My Annual April 1st Notmilk Column

      "April 1. This is the day upon which we are reminded of
      what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four."
      - Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson, 1894

      Each year, I fool dozens or more Notmilk readers
      with a goofy colum, but more and more of you are
      on to me, and I've run out of creative ideas,
      but this year I made an accidental discovery
      while doing some April 1st research and I just
      had to share this with you in lieu of attempting
      to April-Fools you again...

      I've checked famous people born on April 1st.
      The list includes:

      1220 - Emperor Go-Saga of Japan (d. 1272)
      1283 - Ludwig IV of Baveria, Roman Catholic Bavarian emperor (1314-47)
      1543 - François de Bonne, duc de Lesdiguières, Constable of France (d. 1626)
      1578 - William Harvey, England, physician (discovered blood circulation)
      1582 - Gaspar de Crayer, Flemish painter
      1582 - Thomas Simpson, composer
      1610 - Charles de Saint-Évremond, French soldier (d. 1703)
      1640 - Georg Mohr, Danish mathematician (d. 1697)
      1643 - Christian Demelius, composer
      1647 - John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, English poet (d. 1680)
      1697 - Antoine François Prévost, French author and novelist (d. 1763)
      1721 - Pieter Hellendaal, Dutch violinist/organist/composer (Glees)
      1725 - Francois Bainville, composer
      1753 - Joseph de Maistre, French diplomat and writer (d. 1821)
      1755 - Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin, French lawyer (Fisiologia del Gusto)
      1765 - Luigi Schiavonetti, Italian engraver (d. 1810)
      1772 - Ignaz Franz von Mosel, composer
      1776 - Sophie Germain, French mathematician (d. 1831)
      1785 - J H Ferdinand Olivier, German painter
      1802 - Hubert Reis, composer
      1807 - Fredrik Cygnaeus, Finnish poet/literature critic
      1809 - Nikolai Gogol, Ukrainian-born Russian novelist, humorist, and dramatist
      1809 - Willem Ruys J Dz, Dutch ship owner
      1815 - Otto Von Bismarck, Germany, chancellor (1866-90)
      1817 - Johannes J van Oosterzee, Dutch theologist
      1823 - Simon Bolivar Buckner, Lt Gen (Confederate Army), died in 1914
      1834 - Isidore Edouard Legouix, composer
      1834 - Big Jim Fisk, American entrepreneur (d. 1872)
      1843 - Ludwig Enneccerus, German jurist
      1847 - Gavriil Musicescu, composer
      1847 - Jules-Nicolas Crevaux, French explorer (South America)
      1852 - Edward Austin Abbey, US, painter (Quest of the Holy Grail)
      1854 - Bill Traylor, American artist (d. 1949)
      1856 - Acacio Gabriel Viegas, Indian physician (d. 1933)
      1858 - Arnold Aletrino, Dutch physician-criminologist/author (From Life)
      1858 - Gaetano Mosca, Italian sociologist (Circulation of Elite)
      1864 - Marie Jungius, Dutch fairy tale writer
      1865 - Richard Zsigmondy, Germany, chemist (Nobel-1925)
      1866 - Ferruccio D M B Busoni, Italy, pianist/composer/conductor (Arlecchino)
      1866 - Sophonisba Breckenridge, scholar/teacher/social activist
      1868 - Edmond Rostand, France, poet/playwright (Cyrano de Bergerac)
      1869 - Peter A Egge, Norwegian writer (De Droom)
      1871 - F Melius Christiansen, composer
      1872 - Tadeusz Joteyko, composer
      1873 - Sergei Rachmaninoff, Novgorod Russia, composer (Prelude in C# Minor)
      1875 - Edgar Wallace, England, novelist/playwright/journalist (Terror)
      1878 - Carl Sternheim, German playwright (Hyperion/Tabula Rasa)
      1880 - Agha Petros, Assyrian general (d. 1932)
      1882 - Paul Anspach, Belgian Olympic champion fencer (d. 1991)
      1883 - Aleksander V Aleksandrov, Russian composer/conductor
      1883 - Lon Chaney, CO, man of 1000 faces, actor (High Noon, Phantom of Opera)
      1884 - Laurette Taylor, [Helen LM Cooney], US actress (Broadway)
      1885 - Clementine Ogilvy Spencer-Churchill (Hozier), British barones
      1886 - Casimir von Paszthory, composer
      1886 - Wallace Beery, KC MO, actor (Alias a Gentleman, Dinner at 8)
      1887 - Leonard Bloomfield, US linguist
      1893 - Cicely Courtneidge, Sydney Australia, actress (Double Exposure)
      1895 - Alberta Hunter, blues singer/composer (Downhearted Blues)
      1897 - Willem H van de Pol, Dutch theologist (Christian Dilemma)
      1898 - Nita Naldi [Anita Donna Dooley], NYC, actress (Blood & Sand)
      1898 - Pola Gojawiczynska, Polish writer (Stolica)
      1898 - Roger Bastide, French sociologist
      1898 - William James Sidis, American genius (d. 1944)
      1899 - Gustavs Celmins, Latvian politician (d. 1968)

      And then I came to the 20th century and was astounded.
      I had to edit out about 150 other famous people, and
      then this oddity presented itself, sticking out like
      a sore thumb. Strange as it might seem:

      John Fitzgerald Kennedy - April 1, 1917
      Lyndon Baines Johnson - April 1, 1908
      Richard Milhous Nixon - April 1, 1913
      Gerald Rudolph Ford - April 1, 1913
      James Earl (Jimmy) Carter - April 1, 1924
      James Earl Carter, Jr. - April 1, 1924
      Ronald Wilson Reagan - April 1, 1911
      George Herbert Walker Bush - April 1, 1924
      William Jefferson (Bill) Clinton - April 1, 1946
      George Walker Bush - April 1, 1946
      Barack Hussein Obama - April 1, 1961

      Patting myself on the back for discovering an
      astonishing trend that everybody else seemed to
      have missed, I carefully researched the birth
      dates of those who have been mentioned as possible
      Presidential candidates, but other than Obama, only
      two were born on April 1st...Their names: Sarah Palin,
      April 1, 1964, and Al Sharpton, April 1, 1954.

      Go figure?

      "Mix a little foolishness with your prudence:
      It's good to be silly at the right moment."
      - Marcus Tullius Cicero