Your Loved Ones Will Not Eat Rose Petals

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Your Loved Ones Will Not Eat Rose Petals

      "Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger.
      There is really nothing to be said about it. It is
      like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and
      that is all."
      - W. Somerset Maugham

      On January 14, 2011, the nation of Iran issued an
      edict banning the celebration of Valentine's day
      in order to prevent the spread of of Western culture.
      See:

      http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/19/3115983.htm?section=justin

      There is a local gas station which sells
      a dozen roses for $7. What must the wholesale
      rate be? In a few weeks, florists will be gouging
      their prices four to five hundred percent to take
      advantage of an American Valentine's day custom
      that smells anything like rose bouquets. And you
      will pay for something that will turn water rancid
      and rot in 72 hours and be soon forgotten.

      For the same money, you can give a gift whose
      memory will last forever.

      Send dates to a friend or loved one instead
      of flowers for Valentine's Day, and your
      gift will never be forgotten.

      I have a friend (Jaime) who grows 50 different
      varieties of dates in the Southern California
      desert.

      His phone is: 760-359-3211

      "Wet dates" are juicy and moist and will be shipped
      to you as Jaime and his family pick them from
      organic trees on their date farm.

      The best Medjool dates that I can buy in my supermarket
      are mere cardboard when compared to Jaime's freshly picked
      Medjools, Deglet Noors, and Desert Gems. The Krinkles and
      Matooms are a meal in themselves when ordered in a 15-pound
      box containing eight different varieties.

      The Barhi could not possibly be mass produced or commercially
      marketed. They are so very soft, they could not survive months
      of warehousing as do traditional supermarket Styrofoam dates.
      The word "barhi" must certainly translate in Farsi as "melt-in-
      your mouth sweetness."

      The Black Plum dates are appropriately named. No wrinkles.
      Smooth and firm in your hand, soft interior, a different
      kind of sweetness. You might imagine that each has been
      injected with the essence of honey taken from bees
      gathering nectar from fields of wildflowers.

      The Brown Fingerlings look like traditional store-bought
      dates. They are wrinkled, but the resemblance ends with
      your first bite. A soft chewy texture like caramel
      candy with a hint of vanilla.

      Finally, the Halawi, my favorites. Each date is a package
      of sustenance similar to a sweet, freshly baked whole
      grain bread. I lack the words to describe the complexity
      of flavors.

      Dozens of varieties are available, but I suggest that
      you let Jaime make the selection. Do not hesitate. Upon
      reading this column, pick up the phone and order immediately.

      Phone: 760-359-3211

      Note: I neither solicit nor accept payments for items
      promoted in Notmilk letters. I do so out of the joy of
      sharing magnificent vegan alternatives.