Super Market Bargains

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2010
      Super Market Bargains

      OK, so you now live in a cave.
      No supermarkets in your neighborhood.
      There is a nearby stream, so you're saving a
      fortune on the cost of purchasing bottled water.

      But...supermarkets provide so many relatively
      cheap commodities that consumers take for granted.

      Example: Imagine making your own ketchup. Grow the
      tomatoes. Grow the sugar cane. Grow the grapes
      or apples and convert them to vinegar. Harvest the
      salt. They find a container to store the ketchup in...

      Supermarket cost: One dollar for a 16-ounce bottle.

      Other things to consider (my top ten list):

      Toilet Paper - for 80 cents I can roll in comfort
      Bananas all 12 months for 59 cents per pound
      Broccoli in February
      Lemons and Limes
      Green tea
      Bubba Burgers (not really, but I
      wanted to see how many of you were
      paying attention)
      New Coconuts
      Jalapeno Peppers
      Carrots
      An Apple a Day
      Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard

      I am often told by meat eaters that a vegan diet
      must be so boring. To cave dwellers, that might
      be true, but in today's markets, one can find
      20 different grains and 20 different beans and
      40 different veggies and 40 different fruits.
      Enjoy the bounty!