Damn The Torpedos

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2010
      There are times that I've been very proud to
      be the Notmilkman's daughter. I remember one
      long standing ovation he received after a talk
      to 3,000 people in California. And then there
      was this column he wrote six years ago...
      - - - Jennifer Cohen

      Damn The Torpedos

      I have been threatened, and my enemies can go to hell.

      They will read this, and know that there will be many
      witnesses to any future coincidences. You, my readers,
      are an insurance policy that may or may not ever
      mature to its full term.

      The first admiral in the history of America's Navy
      was a man named Farragut. As a young boy, just ten
      years of age, he remarkably reached the rank of
      ensign while serving on a ship during the War of 1812.
      At age eleven, he received a promotion while fighting
      pirates. During the Civil War, after witnessing the
      ironclad Tecumsah sunk by a floating mine, then Admiral
      Farragut inspired his sailors during battle with these
      words, "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead."

      Yesterday, I received my most threatening phone call.
      I've spent a few hours in distress, wondering what
      course of action lay ahead for me.

      I traveled an emotional roller coaster ride, climbing up
      the first steep incline called concern, cascading rapidly
      into a deep valley called dispair, and then finally leveling
      off at anger, and as the ride ended, stepping into clarity.

      What caused this ride of a lifetime?

      I received a phone call.

      Caller: Hello, Robert. Don't say my name.
      Do you recognize my voice?
      Robert: Yes, I do.
      Caller: Call me at this number in five minutes from
      a safe telephone.

      I was given a number, and followed instructions.

      Caller: You've made some very powerful people very unhappy.
      Robert: Can you give me details?
      Caller: Just watch your back. People are talking about you.
      Robert: Thank you.
      Caller: Goodbye, Robert. You take care.

      What could have caused such a warning. Who may my
      most powerful adversaries be?

      Does this go right to the top? I believe that it does.

      My actions have caused one powerful biotechnology company
      to lose many millions of dollars. FDA inspections resulting
      from my complaints have cut Monsanto's production of
      their genetically engineered bovine growth hormone in half.
      By continuing my pressure, by staying on my course, I have
      the potential to cause the company a billion dollar loss.
      Monsanto invested in excess of $500 million during the
      develpoment of their genetically engineered bovine growth
      hormone. That hormone has generated $300 million in cash
      flow every year since 1995. I've helped to cut that income
      stream in half. My information can put Monsanto out of
      business. They are a dangerous company. I will not back
      away from my responsibility. Monsanto is hazardous to your
      health.

      America has changed. Warriors are in charge of our destiny
      at the senior-most levels of our government. Homeland
      Security has overstepped its powers by compromising those
      inalienable rights promised to Americans in the Constitution.
      Laws have been usurped. Due course has been ignored. We
      have become a quasi-fascist state, exercising police powers
      by issuing code alerts, and brainwashing Americans with fear
      so that they willingly give up their rights. What has happened
      to the nation that I love so?

      It seems as if I am now a target, and for what?

      For placing in jeopardy that company which donated millions
      of dollars by helping Mr. Cheney and Mr. Ashcroft to
      achieve absolute power.

      To understand Monsanto is to understand the key players.
      I have revealed so much, and may be in danger, and this
      column may be a final monument, as my warning hints, but
      in the words of one very foolish man who risked all,
      "Damn the torpedos."

      The key vote in the Supreme Court that delivered
      the election to George Bush was Clarence Thomas.
      Mr. Thomas served as Monsanto's lawyer at the firm
      of King and Spalding for two years before becoming
      a Supreme Court justice.

      John Ashcroft, Attorney General. The one man out of 535
      members of the House of Representatives and the Senate
      received the greatest amount of financial support from
      Monsanto during the 1996 election cycle. He received
      five times the amount of money as the congressman
      finishing second in the bribery sweepstakes known as
      PAC money.

      Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, was president of
      Searle Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

      Ann Veneman, Secretary of Agriculture, was on the board of
      directors of Calgene Pharmaceuticals, purchased by Monsanto.

      Tommy Thompson, Secretary of Health, overseer of the Food
      and Drug Administration, was a supporter of Monsanto as
      governor of Wisconsin. He received $50,000 from biotech firms
      during his election run, and used state funds to set up a
      $317 million biotech zone in Wisconsin.

      I will not turn my back on your children or mine. So, I
      continue the course. Full speed ahead.