Gandhi's Greatest Personal Failure

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2010
      ________________________________

      While the Notmilkman is recovering from eye surgery, he's
      asked me to select and post some of his old favorites.

      Dad can now see fuzzy shapes moving in front of his right
      eye, but he still would be unable to tell a coccyx from
      an olecranon. - - - Jennifer Cohen
      ________________________________
      Gandhi's Greatest Personal Failure

      Mahatma Gandhi's namesake, Maneka Gandhi, today
      leads the 'Notmilk' movement in India. Dr. Gandhi
      began the modern-day animal rights movement in
      India, and once served in the Indian govenment as
      the Minister of Animal Welfare. Her rescue work
      has resulted in liberating thousands of abused
      animals after uncovering accounts of animal
      torture and abuse in 590 so-called research
      facilities. Today, she is India's single most
      powerful anti-dairy voice, and her 'Notmilk'
      movement is growing.

      In 1891, 22-year-old Mohandas Gandhi passed the
      bar exam and earned his law degree. His passive
      activism was developed 23 years later while helping
      his countrymen attain rights under an apartheid
      policy applied to Indians living in South Africa.

      In 1914, Gandhi returned to India with a lung
      disease, pleurisy. His doctors advised that he
      drink cow's milk, but India's spiritual leader-
      to-be refused. The same advice was offered to
      Gandhi in 1918 after he developed a serious
      case of dysentery accompanied by high fever.

      Although Gandhi had made a lifelong vow to never
      drink cow's milk, the illness nearly took his life,
      and he made a compromise by drinking goat's milk.
      In his autobiography, Gandhi admitted that his
      habit of drinking goat's milk "has been the tragedy
      of my life."

      At age 71, Gandhi reflected upon his NOTMILK philosophy
      by writing the following (p. 381) in his autobiography:

      "I had long realized that milk was not necessary for
      supporting the body, but it was not easy to give it up.
      While the necessity for avoiding milk in the interests
      of self-restraint was growing upon me, I happened to come
      across some literature from Calcutta, describing the
      tortures to which cows and buffaloes were subjected by
      their keepers. This had a wonderful effect on me."

      At 21 years of age, Gandhi vacationed at the farm of
      fellow vegetarian, Leo Tolstoy. At Tolstoy Farm, Gandhi
      came to understand that milk from cows was not the
      perfect food for humans. On page 382 of his autobiography,
      Gandhi wrote:

      "It was during this time that we had the discussion about
      milk. Mr. Kallenbach said, 'We constantly talk about the
      harmful effects of milk. Why then do not we give it up? It
      is certainly not necessary.' I was agreeably surprised at
      the suggestion, which I warmly welcomed, and both of
      us pledged ourselves to abjure milk there and then."

      For the final meal of his life on January 30, 1948,
      shortly before he was assassinated, Mohatma Gandhi
      dined on cooked vegetables, oranges, and goat's milk.