- - - PAIN IN THE PROSTATE

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      Today's column is dedicated to my dear friend and webmaster,
      Dave Rietz, whose much shortened and infinitely-altered life is due
      to his PROSTATE CANCER. <dorietz@...>

      You don't need a degree in endocrinology to know that hormones are
      responsible for exerting powerful effects on the human body. What man
      is not aware that internal secretions of estrogen are the "magical"
      essence of a woman's behavioral mystique? Conversely, women have
      learned that most of the bad and some of the good that men do can be
      explained by their levels of testosterone. Estrogen and testosterone
      are steroid hormones, and levels of these chemicals in the body define
      sexuality and regulate behavior.

      The human body also manufactures protein hormones. Adrenaline is a
      protein hormone, and so is insulin. Human growth hormone is also a
      protein. These hormones are responsible for metabolic functioning and
      "internal housekeeping."

      Twenty-five years ago, a POWERFUL growth hormone was discovered in the
      human body. This hormone was much more powerful than human growth
      hormone. Scientists observed that it resembled INSULIN, so it was named

      "insulin-like" growth factor, or IGF-I. The resemblance ends when the
      potency of IGF-I is compared to insulin. IGF-I is 30-times more potent
      than insulin. (Kleinman, PEDIATRICS, June, 1992, p. 1105)

      Hundreds of studies have identified IGF-I as a KEY factor in the growth
      of prostate cancer. That hormone is a PERFECT MATCH between humans and
      cows. Eat pizza with mozzarella or Parmesan on pasta, ice cream or
      yogurt, and you deliver this hormone to your body.

      SCIENCE magazine was founded by Thomas Edison in the late 1880's. This
      prestigious journal is read by over 500,000 scientists every week. On
      January 23rd, 1998 (vol. 279. p. 563), IGF-I was identified as the key
      factor in prostate cancer. Nowhere in that article was it mentioned that

      there are forty-seven hundred species of mammal, and millions of
      different proteins in nature, and that IGF-I is IDENTICAL in humans and
      cows.

      An important link to prostate cancer was published in the July issue of
      the BRITISH JOURNAL OF CANCER (July 2000, p. 95). Oxford researchers
      determined that a diet without meat or dairy products could reduce the
      risk of contracting prostate cancer. The authors cite earlier studies
      suggesting that high levels of IGF-I play a key role in causing prostate

      cancer. One year ago, a study published in the JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN
      DIETETIC ASSOCIATION demonstrated that drinking milk increases IGF-I
      levels increase by a factor of 10%. (JADA, Heaney, October 1999, p.
      1228).

      "Milk and Prostate Cancer: The Evidence Mounts" is the latest article
      from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).
      Physician and founder Neil Barnard writes this must-read column:

      http://www.pcrm.org/health/Dairy_and_Prostate_Cancer/d_p_article.html

      Please share this newsletter with your friends. Please copy today's
      column and give it to any friend, relative, or associate who is a
      candidate for, or has been diagnosed with, prostate cancer.