Eating Rainbows

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      Eating Rainbows

      Society considers that which is white to
      be pure. Such a belief can be deceptive.

      By shining white light through a prism,
      one is instantly blessed with the hidden
      beauty and complex nature of our universe.
      A pure white beam of light reveals its
      inner essense.

      Most people can name the seven visible
      colors of the rainbow's spectrum. Violet,
      indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and
      red. Of course, there are two other colors,
      often forgotten, but always present,
      ultraviolet and infra-red.

      Animals and insects feel these colors.
      Plants sense them, too. While we lack
      the same receptors and are blind to
      their existance, our handicap cannot
      negate their influence.

      The ultras and infras of plants are
      magical substances! They include plant
      chemicals, or phyto chemicals such as
      isoflavones and bioflavinoids. Science
      teaches us that plants protect themselves
      from attack with their own secretions
      and chemical messengers. Vegetables repel
      insects who would eat them, and blossoms
      attract other insects with a perfume so
      that their pollens can be spread and their
      species self-propagate. Plants protect
      themselves from too much heat, or cold,
      or wind, or too much moisture, maintaining
      their own good health with their
      specialized hormones.

      Plants can cure their own sicknesses and
      cancers by secreting and bathing themselves
      with these enchanted essences.

      When we eat the plants, we are similarly
      protected. Modern science has confirmed the
      centuries-old traditions and lore from
      cultures that refined the sacred techniques
      of using foods as medicine.

      TODAY'S PERFECT RAINBOW

      Eat foods of color. The perfect color can
      be found right in the middle of our rainbow,
      the color green. There is a pot of gold
      and jewels within that rainbow, and these
      treasures so contained can be cashed in
      to purchase good health.

      Eat green for wellness.

      In the 1980s, scientists first began to
      explore how phytochemicals prevent cancers.
      A great amount of emphasis was placed upon
      the fruits and vegetables that contain
      vibrant colors. The best known of these
      wonder drugs was recognized as beta
      carotene. That's what gives carrots their
      bright orange hue.

      In the 1990s, scientists at the University
      of Minnesota (Steinmetz, et. al.) categorized
      different groups of fruits and vegetables
      demonstrating life giving, disease fighting
      qualities. In doing so, they defined some of
      those magic colors, and the phytochemicals
      so contained within those pigments.

      SOME OF THE MAGICAL COLORS

      The violet, indigo and blues of the plant
      kingdom includephenols and dithiolthiolnines
      contained in eggplant, cruciferous
      vegetables, grapes, plums, and grains.

      Eat onions and shallots, leeks, scallions
      and garlic for cancer-fighting alliums.
      Those green leafy vegetables contain
      flavonoids, and inositol is found in
      beans. Green fruits and veggies contain
      phenols, and plant sterols, protease
      inhibitors and saponins.

      Yellow limonines contained in citrus
      fruit and squash have also been identified
      as cancer fighters, as have the orange
      carotines in carrots, and my all-time
      favorite vitamin pill, the cantaloupe.
      Balancing out the rainbow's spectrum
      would be the red phenols in peppers,
      radishes, and tomatoes.

      Tens of thousands of unique substances
      have been identified, and there are still
      plant hormones and enzymes yet to be
      discovered.

      Remarkably, the one plant containing the
      greatest amount of these wonderful
      phytochemicals is the soybean. Soybeans
      contain coumarins, flavonoids, inositol,
      isoflavones, lignans, phenols, plant
      sterols, protease inhibitors, saponins,
      and Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils.

      For many years, it has been said that
      "an apple a day keeps the doctor away."
      Such wisdom! Each day of one's life should
      reflect a lifestyle that includes this maxim:

      For the best of health eat a rainbow today!

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2010
        ______________________________

        While the Notmilkman is recovering from eye surgery, he's
        asked me to select and post some of his old favorites.

        The Notmikman must lay still for most of the day while his
        eye heals.

        There is one aspect of his recovey which dad really dislikes.
        The eyedrops. They burn his eyes and leave him with a
        headache. Nausea follow the headache and then drowsiness.
        Each day he must apply thirteen liquid hits to his right
        eyeball which include four drops of Prednisolone, four
        drops of Zymar, two drops of Atropine, two of Combigan,
        and one of Lumigan. He is a good patient and does what
        he has been instructed to do, but he hates the process.
        - - - Jennifer Cohen