Health Care Reform

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2009
      Health Care Reform

      Five years ago, my father spent a month
      rehabilitating from a stroke in a health-care
      facility. One hundred yearsago, such a place
      would have been called a sanitarium.

      I was fortunate enough to live less that
      one-half mile away from Sun-Bridge Care
      Center, and was there each morning with
      freshly cut canteloupe and honeydew. I
      passed from shock to anger with each meal
      served to my father. Toast with butter,
      eggs with sausages or bacon, skim milk.

      Lunches were worse.

      Mystery meat swimming in fatty gravy. Few
      vegetables. No fruit. Dinners were more
      of the same. I met with the nursing
      staff, dietician, and nutritionist to no
      avail. "That's what got him here," I would
      tell them. I could have gotten a more
      positive response talking to my living
      room wall. I shopped and cooked and brought
      over meals, leaving their fare untouched.

      I've written two books about Ellen G. White,
      America's first great animal rights and
      vegetarian activist. White set up total
      care facilities for people who needed to
      recover good health. One hundred years ago,
      her words of wisdom became a model for
      health sanitariums. I've compiled ten
      quotes from her writings, which could very
      well serve as a list of Ten Commandments
      for health care reform.

      Commandment I

      "These people have lived improperly on rich
      food. They are suffering as a result of
      indulgence of appetite. A reform in their
      habits of eating and drinking is needed.
      But this reform cannot be made all at once.
      The change must be made gradually." (1904)

      Commandment II

      "It is the duty of the physician to see
      that wholesome food is provided, and it
      should be prepared in a way that will
      not create disturbances in the human
      organism." (1901)

      Commandment III

      "Physicians who use flesh meat and prescribe
      it for their patients, should not be
      employed in our institutions, because they
      fail decidedly in educating the patients to
      discard that which makes them sick. The
      physician who uses and prescribes meat
      does not reason from cause to effect,
      and instead of acting as a restorer, he
      leads the patient by his own example to
      indulge perverted appetite. The physicians
      employed in our institutions should be
      reformers in this respect and in every
      other. Many of the patients are suffering
      because of errors in diet. They need to
      be shown the better way. But how can a
      meat-eating physician do this? By his
      wrong habits he trammels his work and
      cripples his usefulness." (1896)

      Commandment IV

      "When a physician sees a patient
      suffering from disease caused by
      improper eating and drinking or other
      wrong habits, yet neglects to tell him
      of this, he is doing his fellow being
      an injury. Those who understand the
      principles of life should be in earnest
      in striving to counteract the causes
      of disease." (1905)

      Commandment V

      "An important part of the nurse's duty
      is the care of the patient's diet." (1905)

      Commandment VI

      "The patients are to be provided with an
      abundance of wholesome, palatable food,
      prepared and served in so appetizing a
      way that they will have no temptation to
      desire flesh meat. The meals may be made
      the means of an education in health reform.
      Care is to be shown in regard to the
      combinations of food given to the
      patients." (1902)

      Commandment VII

      "Let fruit be placed on the table in abundance."
      (1902)

      Commandment VIII

      "We must remember that the habits and
      practices of a lifetime cannot be changed
      in a moment. With an intelligent cook,
      and an abundant supply of wholesome food,
      reforms can be brought about that will
      work well. But it may take time to bring
      them about. (1904)

      Commandment IX

      "The food placed before them must necessarily
      be more varied in kind than would be necessary
      in a home family. Let the diet be such that
      a good impression will be made on the guests.
      This is a matter of great importance. The
      patronage of a sanitarium will be larger
      if a liberal supply of appetizing food is
      provided." (1901)

      Commandment X

      "Fresh air, exercise, pure water, and
      clean, sweet premises, are within the
      reach of all, with but little expense; but
      drugs are expensive, both in the outlay of
      means, and the effect produced upon the
      system." (1885)

      These quotations and five hundred others
      can be found in GOD'S NUTRITIONIST (by
      Robert Cohen). To purchase a signed copy,
      please send $20 (which includes shipping)
      to:

      Robert Cohen
      841 Kinderkamack Road
      Oradell, NJ, 07649