Forever Crying Wolf

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Forever Crying Wolf

      According to Idaho's Department of Fish & Game,
      the State of Idaho is home to 846 wolves. That's
      about one wolf for each 100 square miles, or one
      wolf for every 64,000 acres. You can see that
      wolves have become a major problem for Idaho's
      bureaucratic potato heads.

      The Idaho wolf population includes 50 packs of
      wolves, and ten percent of those 846 wild wolves
      wear radio transmitters attached to their collars.

      Wolves were once an endangered species in Idaho,
      but as of May 1, 2009, they are fair game to Idaho's
      hunters. The hunting season begins today. During last
      Monday's official licensing day, some 4,000 permits
      were sold to hunt Idaho wolves. State residents pay
      $11.50 while out-of-staters pay $186 for the 2009
      Idaho wolf hunting license. Once 220 wolves are
      reported killed, the hunt immediately ends.

      Which got me to wondering...

      Who thought up those absurd numbers?
      $11.50?
      $186?
      220?

      Is a wolf a potato?
      I did not think so until I called the State of Idaho's
      Fish and game department's toll-free number:

      1-877-872-3190

      I was seeking information on Idaho's proposed wolf
      hunt which is to begin today (September 1, 2009).

      The message:

      "Thank you for calling the Idaho Fish & Game Wolf
      Harvest Line..."

      Harvest?

      Potatoes are harvested. Rutabegas are harvested.
      Are wolves a crop? If so, that's a big load of crop to me.

      I found Farley Mowat's "Never Cry Wolf" ten years after
      it had been written. It was on the assigned reading list
      for a comparative animal behavior class I was taking.
      The year was 1973, and I was still in college. Never
      Cry Wolf had an intense affect on me, and I trace my
      interest in environmental issues back to that introduction
      to Mowat's work. Ten years later, Mowat's book became
      a popular Disney movie.

      Farley Mowat was the man who introduced me to the injustice
      of animal abuse. Wolves are the most humane of non-human
      mammals and live in loving well developed family groups.
      Read 'Never Cry Wolf' and I guarantee that you will share my
      profound appreciation of these gentle intelligent creatures.

      Canadian authorities once suspected that wolves were
      destroying caribou herds. Mowat taught them something they
      did not want to know. Man was the mass murderer, not wolf.
      Hunters with guns, not wolves with sharp teeth. Sure, they
      ate an occasional caribou. Native Inuit Canadians respect
      the wolves. They thin out the herd by eating the sick and
      infirm. In that regard, wolves keep the herd strong. Mowat
      observed that the major food source for wolves in the
      Canadian wilderness was field mice, not caribou.

      Will Idaho wolf hunters be required to wear little
      red riding hoods to camouflage their bad intentions?