The Best New Year's Resolution: Eat Rainbows

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      The Best New Year's Resolution: Eat Rainbows

      Your new year's resolution should be to eat one more
      rainbow each day than you did last year. Legend suggests
      that a pot of gold can be found at the end of a rainbow.
      That treasure can be cashed in to preserve your good
      health and ward off future disease.

      Society considers that which is white, to be pure.
      Such a belief can be deceptive. By shining white light
      through a prism, one is instantly blessed with the
      hidden beauty and complex nature of our universe. A
      pure white beam of light reveals its inner essense.

      Most people can name the seven visible colors of the
      rainbow's spectrum. Violet, indigo, blue, green,
      yellow, orange, and red. Of course, there are two
      other colors, often forgotten, but always present,
      ultraviolet and infra-red.

      Animals and insects feel these colors. Plants sense
      them too. While we lack the same receptors and are
      blind to their existance, our handicap cannot negate
      their influence.

      The ultras and infras of plants are magical
      substances, indeed! They include plant chemicals, or
      phyto chemicals, such as isoflavones and bioflavinoids.
      Science teaches us that plants protect themselves from
      attack with their own secretions and chemical messengers.

      Vegetables repel insects who would eat them, and plant
      blossoms attract other insects with a perfume so that
      their pollens can be spread and their species self-
      propagate. Plants protect themselves from too much heat,
      or cold, or wind, or too much moisture, maintaining
      their own good health with their specialized hormones.
      Plants can cure their own sicknesses and cancers by
      secreting and bathing themselves with these enchanted
      essences.

      When we eat the plants, we are similarly protected.
      Modern science has confirmed the centuries-old
      traditions and lore from cultures that refined the
      sacred techniques of using foods as medicine. We have
      often heart that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away."
      Such wisdom!

      Today's Perfect Rainbow

      Eat foods of color. The perfect color can be found
      right in the middle of our rainbow, the color green.

      Eat green for wellness.

      In the 1980s, scientists first began to explore how
      phytochemicals prevent cancers. A great amount of
      emphasis was placed upon the fruits and vegetables
      which contain vibrant colors. The best known of these
      wonder drugs was recognized as beta carotene. That's
      what gives carrots their bright orange hue.

      In the 1990s, scientists at the University of Minnesota
      (Steinmetz, et. al.) categorized different groups of
      fruits and vegetables demonstrating life giving,
      disease-fighting qualities. In doing so, they defined
      some of those magic colors, and the phytochemicals so
      contained within those pigments.

      The violet, indigo and blues of the plant kingdom
      include phenols and dithiolthiolnines contained in
      eggplant, cruciferous vegetables, grapes, plums, and
      grains.

      Eat onions and shallots, leeks, scallions and garlic
      for cancer-fighting alliums. Those green leafy
      vegetables contain flavonoids, and inositol is found
      in beans. Green fruits and veggies contain phenols,
      and plant sterols, protease inhibitors and saponins.

      Yellow limonines contained in citrus fruit and squash
      have also been identified as cancer fighters, as have
      the orange carotines in carrots, and my all-time
      favorite vitamin pill, the cantaloupe. Balancing out
      the rainbow's spectrum would be the red phenols in
      peppers, radishes, and tomatoes.

      Tens of thousands of unique substances have been
      discovered, and there are still plant hormones and
      enzymes yet to be identified.

      Remarkably, the one plant containing the greatest
      amount of these wonderful phytochemicals is the
      soybean. The tiny white soybean contains coumarins,
      flavonoids, inositol, isoflavones, lignans, phenols,
      plant sterols, protease inhibitors, saponins, and
      Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils.

      So, in this new year, visit your local produce
      store once or twice each week and treat yourself
      and family to a rainbow. Make this a tradition
      never to be broken.