Losing Faith vs. Gaining Strength

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 3:26 AM
      Losing Faith vs. Gaining Strength

      I have become friends with a Notmilk reader whose last
      year includes one nightmare after another. This person
      has modified what she eats from the standard American
      diet to something just short of vegan as a result of
      the Notmilk influence, and that has become one of
      the most healing parts of her life.

      In times of need, one often turns to words of wisdom
      from one or more of the world's great philosophers.
      Be it losing one's job, or an illness, or a death, or
      an emotionally challenging time of life, words from
      the wise can become inspiring food for thought.

      About one year ago, this young woman worked at a job in
      which an immature co-worker thought that it might be fun
      to remove her ladder while she was getting something
      from a high shelf. Laughter turned ugly when she fell
      and severely injured herself and is now disabled. That
      horror is minor when compared to the next two incidents.

      Shortly after her debilitating injury, her eldest son and
      a female friend were shot to death during a home invasion.
      The murders have not yet been solved. I have seen the
      newspaper accounts and confirmed the accuracy of the
      events as they were related to me in this and the
      following story.

      Recently, her second eldest son discovered that his
      young wife was involved in a deceptive relationship
      with another man. Upon learning of his own worst
      nightmare, something within him resulted in an instant
      meltdown. His attorney will call it temporary insanity
      at his upcoming murder trial. That will not prevent
      this young man from spending the rest of his life in
      jail for slashing his wife to death in the shower
      in a scene that the prosecutor will describe to the
      jury with 9 x 12 glossy CSI photos as a scene
      reminiscent from the movie, Psycho.

      Which brings us to my friend. One single mother as the
      sole breadwinner with young children at home should
      not have to suffer through any one of the above experiences,
      let alone all three within a twelve month period. These
      biblical-like trials of Job would challenge any one of us
      in ways that I cannot personally imagine. There are scars
      upon my friend's psyche which will never he healed.

      In FOOD FOR THOUGHT (page 80), these nourishing words
      are offered:

      http://tinyurl.com/67sads

      "We cannot afford to let our spirits chafe over any real
      or supposed wrong done to ourselves. Self is the enemy
      we most need to fear. No form of vice has a more baleful
      effect upon the character than has human passion not
      under control of the Holy Spirit. No other victory we
      can gain will be so precious as the victory gained
      over self."
      - Ellen G. White

      "I want you to be everything that's you, deep at
      the center of your being."
      - Confucius

      Her name is Joan, and in your emails to her you
      might offer your own food for thought.

      SugarrDivvah@...