Teaching Kids How to Cook

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      Teaching Kids How to Cook

      When I first began the Notmilk movement, my daughters
      were just learning how to cook. Jennifer was 8, Sarah
      was 7, and Lizzy was 4 years old. We made cooking a
      game with me instructing three eager students. Today,
      each grown woman (22, 21, 18) is an accomplished
      gourmet chef. Earlier this week, Jennifer prepared a pasta
      sauce that was as good as any you would find in great
      Italian restaurants. She sauteed fresh garlic sliced
      paper-thin in a cold-pressed olive oil, added fresh
      minced oregano, fresh thyme, and fresh minced parsley,
      opened up cans of Italian-grown Vitelli tomatoes (only
      $1 for each 35-ounce can), a bit of cabernet sauvignon,
      and whole pitted Kalamata olives. Three hours later,
      the simmered sauce was perfect on homemade whole-wheat
      pasta.

      I often do more than just lecture when appearing at
      conferences or before college audiences. I delight
      in giving cooking demonstations.

      I must have been born with the Graham Kerr gene. There
      is a bit of Galloping Gourmet in me. I recognize that
      meat eaters will happily embrace a plant-based diet
      if they can be shown that vegetarian foods can be
      delicious when prepared creatively. Give me George Bush,
      Senior, and I'll soon have him eating broccoli out of my
      sautee pan. Having attended America's premiere cooking
      school in 1976 (the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde
      Park, New York), and having worked in and owned a number
      of restaurants, I have more than a desire to share some
      of my cooking secrets and skills with you. I have an
      obligation.

      Many years ago, Ellen G. White recognized that educating
      children to cook healthy meals was a primary responsibility
      of adult teachers and parents. I have adopted her most
      eloquent comments and prophecies, and built this list of
      the Ten Rules of Teaching People How to Prepare Food.

      Rule #1

      "Foods that are healthful and life sustaining are to be
      prepared, that men and women will not need to eat meat."
      (1902)

      Rule #2

      "It is a religious duty for those who cook to learn how to
      prepare healthful food in different ways, so that it may be
      eaten with enjoyment. Mothers should teach their children how
      to cook. What branch of the education of a young lady can be
      so important as this? The eating has to do with the life. It
      is highly essential that the art of cookery be considered one
      of the most important branches of education. There are but few
      good cooks."
      (1868)

      Rule #3

      "Before children take lessons on the organ or the piano they
      should be given lessons in cooking. The work of learning to
      cook need not exclude music, but to learn music is of less
      importance than to learn how to prepare food that is wholesome
      and appetizing."
      (1868)

      Rule #4

      "Do not neglect to teach your children how to cook. In doing
      so, you impart to them principles which they must have in their
      religious education. In giving your children lessons in physiology,
      and teaching them how to cook with simplicity and yet with skill,
      you are laying the foundation for the most useful branches of
      education. Skill is required to make good light bread."
      (1870)

      Rule #5

      "It is our wisdom to prepare simple, inexpensive, healthful
      foods. Many of our people are poor, and healthful foods are
      to be provided that can be supplied at prices that the poor
      can afford to pay. It is the Lord's design that the poorest
      people in every place shall be supplied with inexpensive,
      healthful foods. In many places industries for the manufacture
      of these foods are to be established. That which is a blessing
      to the work in one place will be a blessing in another place
      where money is very much harder to obtain."
      (1905)

      Rule #6

      "There is much to be learned regarding the preparation of
      healthful foods. Foods that are perfectly healthful and yet
      inexpensive are to be made. To the poor the gospel of health
      is to be preached. In the manufacture of these foods, ways
      will be opened up whereby those who accept the truth and
      lose their work, will be able to earn a living."
      (1901)

      Rule #7

      "As the truth is presented in new places, lessons should be given
      in hygienic cookery. Teach the people how they may live without
      the use of flesh meats. Teach them the simplicity of living."
      (1906)

      Rule #8

      "Skillful teachers should show the people how to utilize to the
      very best advantage the products that they can raise or secure
      in their section of the country. Thus the poor, as well as those
      in better circumstances, can learn to live healthfully."
      (1902)

      Rule #9

      "Greater efforts should be put forth to educate the people in
      the principles of health reform. Cooking schools should be
      established, and house-to-house instruction should be given
      in the art of cooking wholesome food. Old and young should
      learn how to cook more simply. Wherever the truth is presented,
      the people are to be taught how to prepare food in a simple,
      yet appetizing way. They are to be shown that a nourishing diet
      can be provided without the use of flesh foods."
      (1909)

      Rule #10

      "The science of cooking is not a small matter. The skilful
      preparation of food is one of the most essential arts. It
      should be regarded as among the most valuable of all the arts,
      because it is so closely connected with the life. Both physical
      and mental strength depend to a great degree upon the food we
      eat; therefore the one who prepares the food occupies an
      important and elevated position."
      (1913)