Singleness of Purpose

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      New Year's Day

      For me, New Year's Day comes 365 days each year.
      Today is the first of 366 such days in 2008.

      Yesterday, I made a resolution to work harder.
      Each time we go the extra yard in helping somebody,
      we create a tiny ripple in an enormous ocean.

      Carefully observe what happens the next time you throw
      a rock into a body of water. It's always a bulls-eye,
      and the tiny waves move in every direction!

      Create enough ripples, and one makes many waves. Resolve
      to create waves. Together we can erode that shoreline
      called ignorance and change our world for the better.

      On this first day of 2008, be blessed with thoughts
      expressed by some of the world's great philosophers:

      "Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have
      governed my life: the longing for love, the search for
      knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind."
      --Bertrand Russell

      "God desires to bring men into direct relation with Himself.
      In all His dealings with human beings He recognizes the
      principle of personal responsibility. He seeks to encourage
      a sense of personal dependence and to impress the need of
      personal guidance. He desires to bring the human into
      association with the divine, that men may be transformed
      into the divine likeness."
      --Ellen G. White, Ministry of Healing, page 242

      "Each of us has a responsibility for being alive: one
      responsibility to creation, of which we are a part, another
      to the creator a debt we repay by trying to extend our areas
      of comprehension."
      --Maya Angelou

      "We need to keep ever before us this vision of things unseen.
      It is thus that we shall be able to set a right value on the
      things of eternity and the things of time. It is this that
      will give us power to influence others for the higher life."
      --Ellen G. White, Ministry of Healing, page 508

      "Singleness of purpose is one of the chief essentials for
      success in life, no matter what may be one's aim."
      --John D Rockefeller, Jr.