Fooling Myth-Informed People

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 4:11 AM
      Fooling Myth-Informed People

      On this date (May 1) in 1933, the first sighting of the
      Loch Ness Monster was recorded, according to the history.com
      website. See:

      http://tinyurl.com/2w594o

      Today, most people believe that something pre-historic in
      size and terror swims in the murky depths of the Loch Ness,
      and there is a pretty convincing Internet photograph of a
      Yeti flying an unidentified saucer-like object just a few
      feet above what seems to be a sun-bathing plesiosaur in
      Scotland's great Loch Ness.

      In America's schools, one boy's myth is another man's
      education. The lies taught to young children are firmly
      imprinted onto their cerebral hard drives, and once
      learned, are rarely erased.

      In celebrating the greatest slavemaster of the past five
      hundred years, school children are taught that Columbus
      was thrown into chains for having proven to mankind that
      the world was not flat, thereby dispelling the greatest
      scientific and cultural myth of the second millennium.

      Here are a few of the truths that are rarely taught.
      In between his third and fourth voyages to the New World,
      Columbus brought back a number of gifts to the Old World.
      Christopher Columbus had become a slave trader, but his
      best known gift to Europe may very well have been a
      disease called morbus gallicus, which infected millions.
      After much of Europe was overwhelmed, the affliction was
      renamed after a shepherd from Greek mythology who angered
      Apollo by not worshiping the gods. Apollo infected the
      air with noxious vapors and the shepherd broke out in
      ulcerous eruptions all over his body. That shepherd's
      name was Syphilis.

      Many of Columbus's doubters went to their deathbeds
      still believing that the world was flat. To this day,
      there continue to be people who believe that same myth:

      http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

      Cow's milk is nature's perfect food for humans.
      Seems rather silly, doesn't it? How seriously would
      you take a manufacturer's claim that chimpanzee's milk
      was the perfect drink for human boys and girls? Got
      dog's milk? After all, the dog is a man's best friend.
      That farmer in the dell must have been hi-ho on his
      olde derry-o when he first cornered a cow in the dark
      recesses of a barn and attached his mouth to her udder
      and sucked until he could suck no more.

      Historically, the greatest myths are the most difficult
      to dislodge from the collective psyche. Those who dispel
      myths are first labeled as fanatics. Throughout history,
      custom has rejected truth and punished visionaries.
      Schoepenhouer wrote:

      "All truth goes through three stages. First it is
      ridiculed. Then it is violently opposed. Finally
      it is accepted as self evident."

      Long ago, Galileo turned his attention to a new frontier,
      and in doing so, angered religious leaders. By placing
      lenses inside of a long tube, Galileo's primitive
      telescope allowed him to discover four moons revolving
      around the planet Jupiter. His invention was destroyed
      and Galileo imprisoned. Man's laws gave this fanatic and
      visionary two choices: remain in prison or recant his
      discovery and previous testimony. Galileo had no choice
      but to exist in a world in which his truth became a threat
      to the men of his time. Dispelling myths has always been
      dangerous to one's health. Those who lead are often
      compared to Cervante's Don Quixote, who tilted at
      windmills.

      The http://www.notmilk.com website is a dispeller of
      America's greatest myth. Those who ignorantly endorse the
      consumption of body fluids from diseased animals do so
      and represent generations of brainwashing. Mothers,
      grandmothers, school teachers, and media, all carefully
      orchestrated to play the same discordant symphony
      composed by an unknown farmer in the dell.

      All truth must suffer the same indignity by skeptics who
      resist change, seeking to ridicule the messenger during
      their learning process.

      It is often repeated that out of the mouths of babes come
      pearls of wisdom. What is certain is that out of the
      mouths of those who we often respect come the vilest of
      lies and the most myopic conjectures leading children far
      from the truth.

      Here is a list of my favorite myth-understandings, as
      told by people society once believed and trusted. The
      number one myth and betrayal is reserved for last.

      1) "The seat of the soul and the control of voluntary
      movement-in fact, of nervous functions in general, are
      to be sought in the heart. The brain is an organ of
      minor importance."

      Aristotle, 400 B.C.

      2) "Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from
      hydrocarbons released by vegetation. So let's not go
      overboard in setting and enforcing tough emissions
      standards for man-made sources."

      Ronald Reagan, campaigning for the presidency, 1980

      3) "I don't go so far as to think that the only good
      Indians are the dead Indians, but I believe nine out
      of ten are, and I shouldn't inquire too closely into
      the case of the tenth."

      Theodore Roosevelt, "The Winning of the West," 1896

      4) "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

      Charles Duell, Commissioner of the U.S. Patent Office,
      who advised President McKinley to close that office in
      1899.

      5) "That's an amazing invention, but who would ever want
      to use one of them?"

      President Rutherford B. Hayes after trying the first
      telephone in a hook-up between Washington and
      Philadelphia.

      6) "Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with
      18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in
      the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps
      weigh only 1 1/2 tons."

      Popular Mechanics magazine, March, 1949

      7) "I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted.
      He is showing an ability that is amazing and he seems to be
      gaining his victories without much bloodshed."

      Gandhi, 1940

      8) "Milk from cows given supplemental bovine somatotropin is
      the same as any other milk. So, there should be no doubt in
      the minds of consumers that the milk they drink is just as
      safe, nutritious and wholesome as it has always been.

      Every issue and every question about BST has been thoroughly
      and carefully studied by the federal government and several
      independent scientific institutions. Consumers can continue
      to enjoy milk and dairy foods with complete confidence.

      Unfortunately, a few fringe groups are using misleading
      statements and blatant falsehoods as part of a long-running
      campaign to scare consumers about a perfectly safe food.
      Their long-range goal is to prevent the benefits of
      biotechnology from reaching the public. Because dairy foods
      are an important, widely consumed source of nutrition, it
      is necessary to condemn these attacks on the safety of milk
      for what they are: baseless, manipulative and completely
      irresponsible.

      Even worse are attempts by some persons to use school
      children as pawns in their opposition to BST. Any
      suggestion that milk from BST-supplemented cows is unsafe
      for children to consume at school, or at home, is a
      potential threat to their health and well being. We
      should be reinforcing the message that all dairy foods,
      when consumed as part of a varied and balanced diet,
      are healthful - and not burden our children with
      unwarranted fears about food safety."

      Statement of C. Everett Koop, M.D.,
      former Surgeon General of the United States, February 6, 1994

      (To put things into a historical/hysterical perspective,
      FDA approved Monsanto's genetically engineered milk hormone
      on Friday, Februarty 4th, 1994. Koop's press release was
      issued two days later on Sunday. The next day, Monsanto
      scientist Bernard Violand submitted a publication to the
      Journal of Protein Science (published in July of 1994)
      admitting that serious gene transcription errors were
      made, resulting in the creation of America's first
      "Frankenfood.")

      For more on Koop's Krazy Krap:

      http://www.notmilk.com/g.html

      As for great myths, there are many conspiracy fans who believe
      that multinational corporations have been working with our
      government and the Central Intelligence Agency to create a
      New World Order. They cite as evidence the secret Latin code
      on the back of an American one dollar bill, just underneath
      the pyramid with the all-seeing eye, which warns of a:

      "Novus Ordo Seclorum," which translates as "New World Order."

      Just in case you just reached into your wallet to look at
      the back of a dollar bill and have goten a case of goose bumps,
      let me remind you of our current President's famous words of
      September 17, 2002 and August 5, 2004:

      "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas,
      probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on -
      shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
      George Bush â€" Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

      "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful' and so are we.
      They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
      and our people and neither do we."
      George Bush - Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

      Happy Loch Ness Monster Day to all. I hope that last month's
      historic rains have appropriately brought enormous blooms
      to your gardens.

      i4crob@...